Quake on Lower Radeons

Started by youkaizero, 28 June 2006, 02:32:38

Previous topic - Next topic

youkaizero

Well, I've figured out why Quake 4 has graphic problems on Radeons lower than the 9700. It's because Quake 4 uses Open GL 2.0, and the lower radeons except for the Radeon 9600 XT and pro don't use Open Gl 2.0, and the D3 engine is completly based on Open GL. That's the problem. Well, I'm trying to fix that problem because my laptop has a mobility Radeon 9000 in it, and I want to play the game while I'm away from home. I need help on this though. I can't do it on my own. I want to alter the moddified engine to use open gl lower than 2.0.Would anyone be able to help me?I only know how to compile new maps for the d3 engine, and textures.So it would be appreciated.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 gb ddr
Western Digital 80 gig
ATI Radeon x800

Rolo01

What errors are you experiencing ? There is a fix for the green color bug on lower DX8 radeons...

youkaizero

Yes, I know but that changes the whole look to Quake 4, basically disabling almost all the specular, making the shadows look like crap, makes the bump maps look horrible, and the colors to dull for it. I'm talking about keeping somewhat of the quality, atleast for the models in game. This is done by switching the rendering system from r200, or ARB2, to ARB. But like I said, you lose massive quality. I want a way to keep quality in the game.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 gb ddr
Western Digital 80 gig
ATI Radeon x800

v2

QuoteOriginally posted by youkaizero

Yes, I know but that changes the whole look to Quake 4, basically disabling almost all the specular, making the shadows look like crap, makes the bump maps look horrible, and the colors to dull for it. I'm talking about keeping somewhat of the quality, atleast for the models in game. This is done by switching the rendering system from r200, or ARB2, to ARB. But like I said, you lose massive quality. I want a way to keep quality in the game.
yeah, quake 4 without specular and other effects is not quake, is a "thing" that renders somtehing.This fx are written in QuakeC language script and are part of the followings 3D Technologies:
Unified Light an shadowing
Stencil shadow volume
Shadow Volume
These technologies are based on mathematic strong algorithms and mathematic distrbution  algorithms ( for rendering in real time shadows and special Fx).Related to other games Quake 4 ( doom 3 engine) don't use at run-time Windows Hardware Abstractation Layer.
In stead, quake4 uses it own scripts to comunicate with hardware.
3d algoritms are performed by the VGA's GPU.So a lot of work is done
by the videocard.That's why every Quake 4 session is a benchmark of your video. So the more rendering pipelines has your VGa card the better.The core clock and memory clock are also verry important parameters and will have substantialy impact over your quake 4 experience gameplay.

youkaizero

I see, so Quake 4 doesn't use the same communication system Doom 3 does with the Hardware... I have however made SOME progress on it.

It actually amazes me on how a new game like this looks on older, and unsupported hardware. Where as a new game like Phantasy Star Universe works, but everything is so jagged looking.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 gb ddr
Western Digital 80 gig
ATI Radeon x800

v2

QuoteOriginally posted by youkaizero

I see, so Quake 4 doesn't use the same communication system Doom 3 does with the Hardware... I have however made SOME progress on it.
It actually amazes me on how a new game like this looks on older, and unsupported hardware. Where as a new game like Phantasy Star Universe works, but everything is so jagged looking.
Well because Quake 4 is communicating directly with hardware.
Due to this reason You can play on older radeons .
"unsuported" for  many developers means untested but not necesarly incompatibile.When you play Q4 on your radeon practicaly the game detects how much memory do you have how much rendering pipelines do you have, what are the  memory and clock speed then the game will revert to the max  experience gameplay that your video-card can obtain.

antropos

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolo01

What errors are you experiencing ? There is a fix for the green color bug on lower DX8 radeons...

what is that fix? [:p] because i have the green problem with my ati radeon 9200...
Greetz
Antropos

contact for gmail invitations