Scanline Interleaving (SLI)

Started by mistergank, 22 October 2003, 11:27:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mistergank

(I didin't know where to start this topic so here we go)
In my current embarkment into older video card I'd really have to say that my old favorate video card was the old S3 Savage... Mostly because of some nice drivers done by Fachman... The old video card was a 2x AGP 8mb sdram and could fly!!!!  My best records with that were over 180fps in UT with a low resolution custom map... On a 800mhz duron 256mb sdram 30gig 7,200RPM HD...  AND NO I WASN'T LOOKING AT A WALL GETTING THOSE SPEEDS...  but my recent discovery of the voodoo2 is quite awsome as to seeing how much quality and performance older video cards have, unlike newer ones today...  The nice feature of SLI mode seems to be incredable, but I guess my question is, is there anyother video cards out there new/old that can do sli besides the voodoo2?

qrazi

well, the voodoo5 5500 and 6000 use the same sort of SLI (SLI is actually patented by 3dfx.). i think their was also a voodoo1 board with 2 voodoo1 chips, connected by SLI.
ATI has used a simular technique for their Ati Rage Fury MAXX.
right of the top of my head thats about all the "SLI" cards there were.

for the professional market, Quantum3D also made SLI boards/systems using voodoo3 chips.

ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

mistergank

ok another bad question to add onto this... what are some other options of 3d cards that require a 2d card?  the whole reason i'm asking all of this is that i have an OLD dual socket-5 with p1s @200mhz mobo that can process stuff quickly and runs harddrives hard but the video is like a bottle neck and i need some d3d or just some acceleration support...  so because its a dualie i need the smp support of win2k or xp... i want to run xp but the drivers of the voodoo2 aren't well supported... so what could be some of my other optoins?   The mobo has 512mb ram ata133 raid with 3x 6.8gig hds in raid 1... yes it has pci2.1 slots but the way the cpu/pci/ram is setup it don't like new video cards at all!!!!  the best video card i've got to run in it is a S3 virge/dx.. and I plugged in the voodoo2 to look at the posting of the system and it seemed to have tested fine, i just never installed drivers yet to see if it really works... so got any ideas on upgrades?  i did try a ATI rage2+dvd and it boots but somehow it disables ALL d3d and acceleration support (and the video outs) in win2k/xp...

qrazi

well, perhaps the ati lacked good driver support. im not sure how far ATI kept their Rage line alive...
when u use the fastvoodoo drivers you get very good opengl and glide perfomance, but im not to sure about the directx performance.
all voodoo's have a pci version, so maybe an old voodoo3 is an option, as are the voodoo4 and 5. keep in mind thoughplacing a voodoo5 in a dual p200 system is a bit of overkill.

i'd first install the voodoo2 (since it sounds like you got one already) and if that isnt good enough, you can think about getting a voodoo3... (or voodoo5 if you want free fsaa...)

ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

mistergank

Yeah I've tried the voodoo2 and its just the 2k/XP support that I'm scared of but last night I just got word that a friend is going to send me his voodoo3 for free! lol so needless to say I can't wait for it to arrive!