MesaFX

Started by PanoramixDruida, 07 October 2003, 14:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

qrazi

could you give us benchmark numbers of a game with the quake3 engine (for example MOHAA or Enemy Territory) using the mesa ICD and the 3dfx ICD?

ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Raziel64

Congratulations! [8D]... You will receive a BIG latina when the ICD will be completed....:D :D :D
I can't wait...[:p]:D Then I think I should release it ASAP!

Quote1- it's is possible for you to make tests at the ICD using only 1 TMU?:);)
What[?] AFAIK, they should work as-is, except for multiarb which uses multitexturing! Well, it might be tricky to get them compiled, but they work, nevertheless! :D

Quote2- are you using GLView to see the percent of implementation of the differents opengls? (I mean 1.1, 1.2, ..., 2.0)
Yes, I'm using it now... The idea smashed me when I saw your mails... :D Unfortunately, I can't remember the percentages right now.

Quote3- (advirsement): is public now the source code of the demo of GLExcess. I thing that it maybe can be useful (isn't?). You can grab it here:
Ohwell, all I can say is: it works even in DOS :D. I knew the source is available in the very same day it went online (Paolo Martella told me). The problem is, it's not the latest version; and the intro is missing, so I can't fix the "loading circles" bug! [:p]

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by qrazi

could you give us benchmark numbers of a game with the quake3 engine (for example MOHAA or Enemy Territory) using the mesa ICD and the 3dfx ICD?

Well, Mesa is faster than the "official" 3dfx dll, in almost all situations.

However, it is slower than Amigamerlin 2.9 in Quake3, and faster in Call of Duty (also fixes some major bugs).

I need to run more tests... I was concerned more about compatibility and spec corectness, rather than speed, so far! Once the bugs vanish, I can turn my attention to speed! Koolsmoky suggested some very nice speed optimizations, that escaped me!

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

bloodworm

On the question regarding legal issues arising from the use of compression routines, I know that the HARDWARE and not the drivers, is the part that is already "licenced" to utilize such routines.  This is most certainly the case with SGI's OpenGL and Microsoft's DirectX routines in regards to the 3dfx HARDWARE.   Any drivers that access existing 3dfx HARDWARE are automatically "licenced" (through 3dfx's licence agreement with these two companys) to utilize SGI's OpenGL and Microsoft's DirectX as it was the HARDWARE that had to be "licenced" and not the drivers.  Nvidia has absolutely NO ties with EXISTING hardware (ie "old" silicon) what-so-ever.  If these compression routines are part and parcel to either SGI's OpenGL and/or Microsoft's DirectX, then our HARDWARE is already "licenced" to utilize said routines and may be implemented freely within your new drivers.  Keep up the good work, and let me know if you have any more legal questions regarding your continued driver support for 3dfx hardware.

Bloody Mess
Bloody Mess

bsarc

ATTN DANIEL BORCA:

1) Man i was wondering if you tested the new ICD with DOOM3 considering it is programmed on OPENGL. see if you can make it look a tad better than it is currently. If you wish to download the new DOOM3 demo you can get it off certain sharing networks the file is E3 doom demo.

2) Has the neverwinter nights performance gone up a bit. just inquiring :D

"That is not dead, which can forever lie.
and with strange eons even death may die. "

qrazi

when can we expect the release of the mesa ICD? at the same time the mesa 5.1 lib is released? how long will that be? just curious, dont want to rush you... :D

amp_man

QuoteOriginally posted by bsarc

ATTN DANIEL BORCA:

1) Man i was wondering if you tested the new ICD with DOOM3 considering it is programmed on OPENGL. see if you can make it look a tad better than it is currently. If you wish to download the new DOOM3 demo you can get it off certain sharing networks the file is E3 doom demo.

2) Has the neverwinter nights performance gone up a bit. just inquiring :D

don't worry, mate, you will find out for yourself, all in due time. I think Mesa 5.1 is so near ready for release that no major improvements will be made at this time, so finding out how awesome these games now run will only make you more impatient;)

When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Jess98

Hi... Just wondering if any of you have tried Mesa 5.1 with the Epsxe Playstation emulator using Pete's OpenGL plug-ins... :)

bsarc

Heh right you are matey. i look forward to the OGL update, :D. i got me V56K purring away in a AMD barton 3200 with a gig of DDR running with the AGP/PCI converter.(dad works in japan has its advantages. tee hee) so far i havent had a single problem running with radeon 9800 . both cards work like a charm. just a matter of creating two windowsXP hardware profiles. heh.

im getting all bloody excited now. wanna see what the voodoo can do running on 3Dsmax astonishing that the V5 still beats the 9800 when i want to AA wireframes. haha

Rolo01

Hey Bsarc,
can you contact me please ?
Rolo01(at)gmx.de

Amigamerlin

Hi guys,
if you all are interested how new MESA 5.1 perform with Call of Duty - Dawnville - Demo , a really have opengl GAmes you can see it here:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=453 [8D]

bye

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000
Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

qrazi

i am interested indeed, it ran with ~13 fps on my rig... which isnt good... :)

ah, i see you use a xp3000+, now lets hope that doesnt mean my xp1825+ is to weak to get 20+ fps. (>25fps is playable neough for me... :) )

Raziel64

Simple but useful request:

I need names of games that uses opengl.[?]

Banshee Team Member
Evolution Drivers Series

raffa

ok then ill start (with games comes to my mind having troubles in OGL with the 3dfx icd):

Papy Nascar 2003 season
Papy Grand Prix Legends (per patch)
IL2 Sturmovik
Racer

i have a simple request to you, too: give us teh mesafx opengl32.dll ;)

LogicalMadness

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Quake III Arena
Metal of Honor Allied Assault
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force