MesaFX

Started by PanoramixDruida, 07 October 2003, 14:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

lecram25

AFAIK, FXT1 is open source, just like glide...
Speak to Kool, which I'm sure you do. He knows very well what is legal and what is not...

| AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ @ 3200+ (11x200) | Cooler Master Jet 7 | ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 (nForce 2) | Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 | Sapphire ATi Radeon 9500np>9700np | Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 | 3dfx VoodooTV 200 PCI | Western Digital 40GB & 120GB HDD | Pioneer 106s DVD | LG 52x24x52 CDRW | Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital Speakers |

Amigamerlin

QuoteOriginally posted by qrazi

wow, thats a very good result! i cant wait to see this new ICD released.
btw: have you tested it also with Morrowind? i thought there were lots of problems with that game and voodoo cards because it required opengl 1.2...
mmmm... Morrowind seems to be Direct3d . I have it Original (in bundle with my Radeon9800 Pro) and works ok ... Lunching the game he say "Amigamerlin 3.0 video Driver" [8D] .. no opengl !!

I can try to post some screenshot !!

Maybe you mean Never Winter night :D that was opengl.
If yes ... take a look at :

http://www.forumzone.it/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9866&FORUM_ID=63&CAT_ID=15&Topic_Title=NEVER+WINTER+NIGHT+DEMO+%2D+VOODOO5+5500+PCI&Forum_Title=Screenshots+e+qualit%E0+visiva+delle+schede+video

I installed the demo (384 mb [:0]) !! and it works ok without graphical problem !!

Bye

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000
Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

qrazi

QuoteOriginally posted by dborca

Don't get too excited about it! The s3tc might not get into the final -- AGAIN -- because of legal issues! [:(]

??? i thought the voodoo 4/5 supported s3tc? at least in Unreal Tournament it works right?

ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by lecram25

AFAIK, FXT1 is open source, just like glide...
Yes, I know, but I'm afraid of nVidia stepping forth!

QuoteSpeak to Kool, which I'm sure you do.
Yes, all the time! :D :D :D

QuoteHe knows very well what is legal and what is not...
Wha'? is he a lawyer, and I don't know about it? [:0]

The reason I asked about FXT1 is that I knew it can be reached more easily than DXTC. But then again, can we use DXTC also? [?]

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by qrazi

??? i thought the voodoo 4/5 supported s3tc? at least in Unreal Tournament it works right?
I really don't know! Haven't tested UT so far!

Now, the V4/5 might support s3tc, but sometimes the driver has to compress the texture on-the-fly! Read my previous exhaustive posts about that! I'm not sure we are allowed to compress them!

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

vykupitel

I think that DXTC is S3TC version for directx. So if you can use DXTC, is there any possibility to wrap s3tc to dxtc???

AthlonXP 2100+@2700+, 256MB PC266@333 RAM,MSI MS-746F Ultra,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1
AthlonXP 1.86GHz@2.2GHz (barton), 1024MB PC400 RAM,MSI KT6-Delta LSR,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1 + Voodoo4 4200 AGP(Daytona) and many more...

Mr_khyron

i think Colourless did warp s3tc to dxtc

http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

lecram25

Daniel, im me...
aim: lecram25
msn: lecram25@hotmail.com

| AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ @ 3200+ (11x200) | Cooler Master Jet 7 | ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 (nForce 2) | Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 | Sapphire ATi Radeon 9500np>9700np | Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 | 3dfx VoodooTV 200 PCI | Western Digital 40GB & 120GB HDD | Pioneer 106s DVD | LG 52x24x52 CDRW | Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital Speakers |

bsarc

ATTN: Daniel Borca

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19990915S0014

SAN JOSE, Calif
. — 3Dfx Interactive Inc. said Tuesday (Sept. 14) that it plans to give away its texture-compression algorithms, becoming the latest company to try out open-source licensing. By freeing up the code, 3Dfx hopes to accelerate its adoption and possibly glean ideas for future releases.
In a sense, 3Dfx Interactive is giving up ownership of its FXT1 compression technology, said product manager Erik Johnson. Licensees will owe no royalties to 3Dfx and will retain ownership of any alterations they make in the code. None of the changes have to be shared with or shown to 3Dfx, although the company hopes its licensees will submit changes and improvements to the code.

"We want to see adoption of the technology," Johnson said. "We're also looking for feedback. We've got a lot of big brains out there who can hopefully tell us thing we haven't thought of."

Those privileges extend even to competing chip and board vendors, who would be welcome to grab the FXT1 code and add it to their own products, Johnson said. 3Dfx is hoping that licensees of FXT1 will share their improvements, some of which could be considered for the next generation of FXT1 technology, he said.

Other companies have begun to adopt open-source concepts, spurred partly by the publicity surrounding the Linux kernel and the GNU operating environment. But some of those efforts, such as the community-source license from Sun Microsystems Inc., have met with skepticism from some members of the open-source community.

3Dfx's approach deviates most significantly from most open-source licenses by not forcing licensees to offer their altered code in open-source fashion. Often, an open-source license will mandate that any changes to a piece of software be made open-source as well.

Texture compression is a technology that allows storage of detailed graphics images in a smaller space, creating finer detail for 3-D scenes. A competing texture-compression technology, the S3TC technology of S3 Inc., has been on the market for two years and was adopted by Microsoft Corp. into Direct3D platform.

A spokesman for S3 said the company hadn't had time to examine details of 3Dfx's open-source offering, but said that it piqued the curiosity of the team that developed S3TC.

Johnson declined to comment on whether 3Dfx has future plans for open-source licensing. For now, the company is casting FXT1 to the winds, essentially giving up ownership of all but the initial technology.

"It's really not an ownership, it's not a proprietary thing," Johnson said. "Ultimately, we own only the way that these initial algorithms are written."

FXT1 source code can be downloaded from the 3Dfx Web site
[/q]

So yeah you can use FXT1 nvidia cant do sh!t really . :D
S3TC isnt opensource aka u cannot MODIFY any part of the S3TC source code, however u can use S3TC in the icd, it will not effect the licensing in anyway. U could reroute Gl_s3tc to use FXT1, heh. Im sure there would be a decent bit of speed gain.

Good job on the ICD mate i cant wait to give it a spin with my 6K.

"That is not dead, which can forever lie.
and with strange eons even death may die. "
"That is not dead, which can forever lie.
and with strange eons even death may die. "

vykupitel

And what about trilinear filtering in MESA?In 761 ICD it wasn`t functional.

AthlonXP 2100+@2700+, 256MB PC266@333 RAM,MSI MS-746F Ultra,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1
AthlonXP 1.86GHz@2.2GHz (barton), 1024MB PC400 RAM,MSI KT6-Delta LSR,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1 + Voodoo4 4200 AGP(Daytona) and many more...

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by vykupitel

And what about trilinear filtering in MESA?In 761 ICD it wasn`t functional.
Sh!t! You touched a soft spot here! Me and Koolsmoky banged our heads to the wall trying to enable trilinear!

The sh!tty part is, multitexturing and trilinear are mutex! This is a Voodoo limitation! You see, the TMUs must be configured to alternate the LODs. But since in multitex, you have to configure the TMUs in very different fashion, so, basically is a no-no! There might be particular multitex modes which _COULD_ allow trilinear, but ohwell!

Another approach would be to fake multitex when trilinear, by using multipass techniques, but it'll be d@mn slow, and we'll never satisfy the full spec!

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_khyron

I know!

So I will have to face two licenses: M$ and S3? Thihihihihi :D

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

Amigamerlin

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_khyron

http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

Well, to be right, we must say that the first that have implemented S3TC in his Glide3x was Koolsmoky . Colourless, as he have said, take the S3TC compression/wrapper "as it is" from Koolsmoky source :D.

Bye

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000
Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

dborca

Voodoo^2 happiness!

Yesterday I received a 12MB STB Voodoo^2 from a dear friend, also known as... erm... but I am not allowed to say his name! :D I only wish I could meet him in person sometimes, so I could thank him properly! .

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the card running, not in Windows, not in Linux! Perhaps I did something wrong... It was late in the night :D

However, I tried to compile Glide3/CVG in DOS mode... Yeah, that blamed OS that never failed me! Boom! [:0] It worked just great! [:p] So the sources are ok!

Having that said, the Mesa 5.1 release will support Voodoo^2.

... remembering the golden age...

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Regards,
Daniel Borca

Raziel64

Daniel!...

Congratulations! [8D]... You will receive a BIG latina when the ICD will be completed....:D :D :D

For now, only I want to ask/tell you 3 things:

1- it's is possible for you to make tests at the ICD using only 1 TMU?:);)
2- are you using GLView to see the percent of implementation of the differents opengls? (I mean 1.1, 1.2, ..., 2.0)
3- (advirsement): is public now the source code of the demo of GLExcess. I thing that it maybe can be useful (isn't?). You can grab it here:
link 1 http://www.glexcess.com/files/glxsglut.rar
link 2 http://downloads.driverheaven.net/glxsglut.rar

Cya soon dude [8D]... cya guys!...

Raziel64.

Banshee Team Member
Evolution Drivers Series