3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 General Discussions
 MesaFX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

perer
Average

Netherlands

243 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  19:51:41  Show Profile  Visit perer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you use the standard Voodoo3 setting in Serious Sam 2? Or did you use your own MesaFX. Because I got blinking wrong sun flares etc, with the Voodoo2 compatibility but with MesaFX there was no problem, and the game ran smooth.
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  22:01:13  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
..and what about warcraft3? the game runs way more stable with mesafx and looks better as well,but there are still some small texture problems..

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  11:11:32  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perer

Did you use the standard Voodoo3 setting in Serious Sam 2? Or did you use your own MesaFX. Because I got blinking wrong sun flares etc, with the Voodoo2 compatibility but with MesaFX there was no problem, and the game ran smooth.

this has little to no relevance. first rule of testing: never change two things at the same time. so basically i changed only one thing: glide3x. the 667 works ok, while the other (sf) doesn't.

and, yes, i was using mesafx, of course. i also tried deleting the entire voodoo section from glsettings and ran in "unknown mode".

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  11:14:28  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ps47

..and what about warcraft3? the game runs way more stable with mesafx and looks better as well,but there are still some small texture problems..

yes, i know... i still have to determine if this is driver-related or application-related.

unfortunately, many games provide dual d3d and opengl paths, and the gl path is usually poorly written, or not tested enough. ohwell... this is an old issue:
1) users tend to think d3d is trendy
2) and god forbid game developers create non-trendy applications
3) then, driver developers have to invest more in d3d than in opengl, because it's needed by game developers
4) so, because d3d is usually better, average user thinks d3d is trendy. now we're back to step 1!

quod erat demonstrandum the vicious circle is compete now!

ps: i love carmack for having the balls of doing opengl! carmack rules. and he was "criticized" at beyond3d for being stubborn. oh, and btw, in opengl area, nVidia rulez!

pps: i remember i found this a long time ago...
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/windoze/OpenGLvsDirect3D.html

Regards,
Daniel Borca

Edited by - dborca on 05/11/2004 15:31:20
Go to Top of Page

secretfj
Average

Hong Kong

259 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:04:13  Show Profile  Visit secretfj's Homepage  Send secretfj an ICQ Message  Click to see secretfj's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dborca
unfortunately, many games provide dual d3d and opengl drivers, and the gl driver is usually poorly written, or not tested enough. ohwell... this is an old issue:
1) users tend to think d3d is trendy
2) and god forbid game developers create non-trendy applications
3) then, driver developers have to invest more in d3d than in opengl, because it's needed by game developers
4) so, because d3d is usually better, average user thinks d3d is trendy. now we're back to step 1!

hope the release of DOOM3 and its engine can change the situation a bit

No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2004 :  00:06:10  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dborca

pps: i remember i found this a long time ago...
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/windoze/OpenGLvsDirect3D.html

..d3d sux even now.I hadnt had a single problem with opengl games from the day one (1998).and d3d? even now I can see old "friends" from time to time-missing or corrupted textures,wrong effects,flickering etc.always waiting for a newer driver..bah.

btw,any ideas why this little baby doesnt like mesafx (and all 3dfx opengl drivers as well-and its supposed to have only basic opengl requirements)? you will need this as well..

Edited by - ps47 on 25/11/2004 00:16:26
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2004 :  11:30:27  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
@ps47
amen! (you know what i mean )

now 'bout good ol' duke: i'll try to find a niche and look at it (i'm pretty busy these days). btw, do i need to get duke datafiles from elsewhere?

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2004 :  19:27:13  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
..all you need is a *.grp file from shareware,full version,or full version atomic,plus the port binaries.shareware is a 6 meg download.good old times.

Edited by - ps47 on 25/11/2004 22:29:26
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  14:05:54  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
okidok, i got it.

quote:
Originally posted by ps47

.good old times.

oldskool, eh? it is amazing what those masters have realised with so few resources.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  14:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@dborca,

I tried forcing Doom 3 to use 16 bit colour depth in the 3dfx tools but I'm seeing no performance gains whatsoever, in most other games using/forcing 16 bit leads to a nice performance increase.

Any idea why this is not the case for Doom 3 ?, I'm not even positive that it is really forcing 16 bit in the game.
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  14:43:01  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voodoo5

@dborca,

I tried forcing Doom 3 to use 16 bit colour depth in the 3dfx tools but I'm seeing no performance gains whatsoever, in most other games using/forcing 16 bit leads to a nice performance increase.

Any idea why this is not the case for Doom 3 ?, I'm not even positive that it is really forcing 16 bit in the game.

what driver are you using?

1) mesa wouldn't care less about 3dfxTool options
2) mesa does not allow 16bit modes when application requests 32bit mode (that's the sole reason Doom3 won't start on V2 with Mesa - yes, it was on purpose)
3) even in 16bit modes, mesa uses maximum quality for textures (that is, 32bit for Napalm cards)

this is the reason mesa seems much slower than 3dfx ogl (especially in 16bpp). maybe i'll change that, i dunno. or at least make an envvar so the user can choose.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  14:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@dborca,

quote:
what driver are you using?

Amigamerlin 3.1 R1 and MesaFX Doom 3 version of course

quote:
maybe i'll change that, i dunno. or at least make an envvar so the user can choose.

If you would please be so kind

Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
maybe i'll change that, i dunno. or at least make an envvar so the user can choose.

If you would please be so kind

i am usually not , but i'll make an exception for you

now letting alone the joke, i really can't remember why i haven't changed it already. perhaps i'm either using 16bit on 16bit cards and 32bit on 32bit cards (although 16bit on 32bit cards could be somewhat faster)

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2004 :  18:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@dborca,

Thank's Daniel, your the best
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:24:11  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@dborca,

Thank's Daniel, your the best

i remember why it is the way it is right now. have you tried MESA_FX_IGNORE_TEXFMT?

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2017 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums