3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 General Discussions
 MesaFX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
hitman2 works as a charm now on my voodoo3.great work!

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  06:43:22  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dborca,
Do you have any plans on adding the extentions that rainbow has offered to the group to your Mesafx opengl32.dll? I noticed after using the realtech VR extension viewer, that the Mesafx opengl32.dll was up a few extentions and down a few as compared to the rainbow/colorless OGL interceptor. Also just wondering what your next additions to the driver might be in any case. Thanks for your superb progamming skills, and please keep up the good work!

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  09:48:41  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see what i can do.

--- EDIT ---

I gave GLViewer a run last night, comparing Colourless' GxpOgl with Mesa-6.1.0.4 on Napalm. There are only two extensions missing from Mesa:
GL_EXT_fog_coord - ready for mass production since Mesa-5.1, but will make things a teensy bit slower (and I couldn't find a real usage for it, either).
GL_3DFX_multisample - I'm pretty sure it's not quite used, anyway.

Regards,
Daniel Borca

Edited by - dborca on 13/05/2004 08:03:09
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  00:17:42  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
which version of the glviewer are you running? also which version of the GxpOGL are you running? I am running the version of the coulorless GxpOGL that was modified by Rainbow..... he offered the files to you freely way back in this post somewhere...... he has added quite a few more extentions than you presently are running i.e. the "NV" extensions and such..... also, I noticed that the latest mesafx has the compression extensions running (via realtechVR opengl extention viewer). The rev 6.1.0.4 mesafx w/40404beta glide3x lists the S3TC twice in the (extensions tab/capabilities/extension specifics/texture compression) and is missing the RGBA DXT1 compression extention (notice the "A")?

there are numerous other differences, but maybe they are all just reiterations of the same functions so it still works? even though the extension syntax is different, the same function is called out?

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  08:51:18  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I said Colourless' GxpOGL, haven't I? I can't remember which glviewer, though... And it wouldn't make so big difference, either (apart from that some versions are buggy).
And yes, some extensions are advertised with different, obsoleted names (SGIS multitexture as opposed to ARB_multitexture). Some other extensions are advertised only when they are truly enabled: for example, you won't get stencil_wrap if you run glviewer in 16bpp (which needs 16bit depth which doesn't have stencil, anyway).
I am pretty reluctant when adding new extensions, because if I can't cover at least 80% of it, I don't do it. Otherwise, I'd be no different from "other" people who are claiming halluc new features with their drivers. Remember, the OpenGL state machine is not quite the A, B, C! And you need to take care of lots of side-effects.
But I tell you what: gimme one application that makes heavy use of a particular extension, and I'll add it (if possible). This way, I can test my work.

Regards,
Daniel Borca

Edited by - dborca on 14/05/2004 09:15:20
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  23:29:41  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dborca,
thanks for the reply. I believe that rainbows GxpOGL addon was very good since it included ALL of colourless's addon and then he added quite a bit. just about matches your Mesafx in FPS with my current opengl fav game NWN. colourless's addon was a bit slower so there was definately something in rainbows addon that cooks for NWN.... Rainbow had offered the source code to you some time back, but I don't know if you or your team had gotten back with him on that?

PS. is there a proggy that I can run that will log any opengl calls that the software is calling out and not making it? I can run NWN with it and let you know which calls seem to be most prevalent that could be usefull to the Mesafx driver and NWN.

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2004 :  11:19:47  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Awwwyea... this Rainbow fella... I think I still have his sources somewhere. The guy disappeared even faster than he popped up.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  00:44:13  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea,
he sent me the files and then I haven't heard from him since too!

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  08:14:15  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's the status of some new extensions:

Added:
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays

Ready, but will induce a teensy-weensy bit of latency:
GL_EXT_fog_coord

Pending, provided Mesa-proper is bugfree and the FX driver is correctly implemented
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_ARB_vertex_program

Other possible extensions:
GL_EXT_cull_vertex
GL_NV_blend_square
GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_NV_texture_rectangle
+ some other 3DFX specifics (tbuffer, multisample - not worth the effort)

Studied and possible, but poorly used:
GL_HP_occlusion_test

Extensions not studied yet:
GL_NV_fence
GL_NV_pixel_data_range
GL_NV_vertex_array_range
GL_NV_vertex_array_range2

Also, Mesa _IS_ following the spec when it does not advertise RGBA_DXT1, because all transparent pixels become black, thus it does not behave the same way as its base format. This behavior is required by OpenGL spec.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

zandro
Novice

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  10:37:45  Show Profile  Visit zandro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Farcry actualy makes use of GL_HP_occlusion_test but it is
the only game i know that makes use of this extension.
And by the way would`nt it create major slowdown to
implent GL_ARB_fragment_program and GL_ARB_vertex_program
since the workload would denamd an hefty cpu?

Edited by - zandro on 18/05/2004 10:38:36
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  10:54:23  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandro

And by the way would`nt it create major slowdown to
implent GL_ARB_fragment_program and GL_ARB_vertex_program
since the workload would denamd an hefty cpu?

No slowdown. The "programs" get translated into regular OpenGL commands internally. That's how MesaSW works. But there is a caveat: a "program" might contain cube_map instructions, for example; or any other things not supported by Voodoos. A misbehaved app will shoot the "program" without looking back and without checking errors. A well-behaved app will use different programs, based on true OpenGL capabilities. But I guess we don't live in a kind world, now do we?

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  10:58:36  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing (old news) that I forgot to mention. Try to set MESA_CODEGEN=y environment variable. This envvar is not specific to 3dfx HW; it merely instructs Mesa core to build/use some OpenGL worker functions on-the-fly. It should give a small speed boost, especially in situations where TCL is heavily involved.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2004 :  15:02:15  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the update dborca! I will try the envar tonight. What would make transparent pixels white?? this is the problem I am seeing with your mesafx and the glide3x 40404 with Neverwinternights that I do not see with the rainbow GxpOGL addon.

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2004 :  07:58:58  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for misunderstanding: in RGBA_DXT1, all transparent pixels become black. It's a limitation, not a feature.

I don't have this problem (white squares) with NWN demo. Nor does Kool. So it's a bit harder to debug. Maybe it's a blending problem, I dunno... Anyway, I fixed the blending modes for Napalm last night (and added GL_NV_blend_square). Perhaps 6.1.0.5, then...

PS: do you use Napalm? If not, set MESA_FX_LOD=9 (you can go all the way up to 11).

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2004 :  22:51:54  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm.... could it be possible that the overlays and the tabs with the whiteout problem that I am seeing might have something to do with the base driver I am running? I am running the 3DHQ beta 10 driver for win98se on my V5 5500 AGP. In the demo, the whiteout problem is so minimal that it can be easily overlooked. I only see it in two places, one on top of the charater sheet when picking characters before the actual game starts and the other is at the top of the journal while in the demo game itself, the area around the "tabs" at the top are white and shouldn't be. In the real game, the white is MUCH more prevalent and can be seen around all the "windows" with tabs and such that come up. the white around the "text" running box at the bottom of the screen is most annoying. I will try the last WHQL beta with the 40404 glide3x and see.

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2017 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums