MesaFX

Started by PanoramixDruida, 07 October 2003, 14:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

cosworth6k

QuoteOriginally posted by dborca

"some" applications? Thanks for the precise feedback! I'll fix it in "some" days.

Lol :D
3dfx ZoNe moderator
Powered by voodoo 6000

ps47

would it be possible to fake the GL_S3_s3tc and gl_ext_texture_compression_s3tc extensions for VOODOO3 with mesafx?(trying to run call of duty,seems like this is the last issue..)

mei

Why not use the voodoo5 since you have one ?

ps47

and why dont I buy a geforce?my decision pal.this is not about playing the game,its about making it work.I love to solve stuff,once the game runs,I will inform everybody,uninstall it and I will move to the next one..

Nightbird

And i would say also that we have probably more Voodoo3 users than Voodoo5 users...

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Shogakusha

I think Daniel said earlier that he wasn't going to put in a compression library because he was worried about licensing or something.
Comp 1:
-     Windows XP Pro
-     Athlon 2500XP
-     MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard
-     512 meg of 333mhz ram
-     Radeon 9700 Pro
Comp 2:
-     Windows 98 SE
-     Pentium 2 - 333
-     64 meg of pc100 ram
-     Cirrus Logic Laguna 5465 vid card
-     Monster 3d card
Comp3:
-     Windows 98SE
-     Duron 800Mhz
-     192Meg of pc100
-     Voodoo 3 2000

raffa

i have some probs with il2 sturmovik.
its running fine beside to things:

1. s3tc texture compression isnt working, game falls back to 16bit compression, dont know if this is supposed to be on the v5.
2. i get some visual errors, please take a look at my screenie in this topic: http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=798

bloodworm

raffa:
the s3tc texture compression routines are not within the MESA 3dfx release.  you can try this:

http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

for s3tc texture compression.  please try it WITH the MESA addon and let me know if your texture compression is fixed.  From what I have read in the past, the ICD comes first THEN opengl32.dll is used.  But from what I have read here, this is not the case?
Bloody Mess

raffa

"the s3tc texture compression routines are not within the MESA 3dfx release."
ok, thanks thats a clear statement. not too good, though

i dont see GxpOGL interceptor could work with mesa. yes it says:

"Started work on the GxpOGL ICD Interceptor to fix problems with the 3dfx ICD.
Currently it replaces the glTexImage2D function to fix issues with S3TC
textures. S3TC textures are now compressed using the Microsoft compressor and
are passed to the ICD as compressed textures."

but:

"Changed much of how GxpOGL works. It will now only work with the 761 ICD.
Attempting to use it with other ICDs will cause nothing to be changed."

-
as i understand, S3TC precompressed textures work with mesa because support is included in glide but the compression algo for on the fly texture compression is missing cause of license issues, right?    

---

back to my il2 problems: the image corruption isnt a texure compression problem, looks more like some sort of blending or fogging issue, dont know excactly.

koolsmoky

Quote1. s3tc texture compression isnt working, game falls back to 16bit compression, dont know if this is supposed to be on the v5.
2. i get some visual errors, please take a look at my screenie in this topic: http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=798
Texture compression is supported and will work as long as you use the pre-released sourceforge glide driver (40404) which comes with MesaFX. The problem seems to be that some applications are not able to process the "huge" GL extension list of Mesa thus failing to detect certain capabilities. It's likely that il2 is facing this problem. Try updating the game and ask the il2 devs, politely, about the max GL extension list the game can detect.
Quoteplease try it WITH the MESA addon and let me know if your texture compression is fixed. From what I have read in the past, the ICD comes first THEN opengl32.dll is used. But from what I have read here, this is not the case?
MesaFX doesn't need the 3Dfx ICD or the Microsoft OpenGL driver. Unfortunately, an OpenGL wrapper (interceptor) won't have any possitive effect either.

-KoolSmoky

raffa

thx kool

i had the latest patch for original il2, so i downloaded the latest demo (v2.0) and S3TC works fine! :)

ps47

I have noticed an annoying bug:when I alt+tab from a game that uses mesafx,when I return to the game(call of duty),the screen is black.the game still runs,I can even quit normally if I hit the right buttons..this is no big deal,I can avoid alt+tab,but the bad thing is that some games (gorky zero) are not able to swith resolutions normally as the screen is black after applying the changes..

dborca

Okidok!

I just sent today a new DLL to Amigamerlin. It fixes some PIXELFORMAT issues. If there are any changes, they are minor, so I forgot them, and are not worth mentioning. For this reason, it'll not be rev "I", but rather rev "H" 4th ed.

@ps47
I don't think Glide3x fully supports Alt-Tab. Since Mesa is totally Glide3-based...

@raffa
Kool is right about extension list! Quake3 used to exhibit the same problems. I had to upgrade to 1.32

@bloodworm
Mesa _IS_ the ICD!

More & more people ask about supporting S3 compression for pre-Napalm cores. Re-read the previous sentence and replace "supporting" with "faking". This thread is terribly long, but -- if memory serves -- I explained the drawbacks of this method: since pre-Napalm can't display already compressed textures, sometimes they need to be decompressed on the fly! Which might be very slow.

And why all of you keep bugging me about texture compression in Mesa? I shall re-iterate: no compression-decompression is done inside Mesa. Yet sometimes you have it... sometimes you don't...
Regards,
Daniel Borca

amp_man

QuoteAnd why all of you keep bugging me about texture compression in Mesa? I shall re-iterate: no compression-decompression is done inside Mesa. Yet sometimes you have it... sometimes you don't...

I think you need to put that in your sig or something ;)
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

bloodworm

@dborca,
    thanks for the clarification.  I was thinking that since you were naming it opengl32.dll it was to replace microsofts file.  So does the Mesa 0.51 dll fall back to anything in microsofts software accel only opengl32.dll the way that the 761 ICD does it?
Bloody Mess