best v3 win98 driver?

Started by chevy2, 12 January 2003, 20:59:15

Previous topic - Next topic

chevy2

how do i deside wich is the best driver to use ? the games i play ,the processor i use ,are they all good,does it matter? what directx should i use & does it matter with these old games anyway? i have a 233mhz pent1,voodoo 3,32meg ram,diamond monster m300 sound,i like a variaty of games,sin ,half life, age of empires,heretic.:D

chevy2
chevy2

Nightbird

well, your games are "old" (but good :))
i would say the last 3Dfx reference drivers 1.07.00 22 Nov 2000 or the 1.06.00 27 oct 2000 + Wicked GL + DirX7.0 + the Glide 2/3 updated with the last Koolsmosky 's Stand-Alone Driver Core Components

of course your cpu is not very powerful, a V3 is probably very powerful for your pc ;)

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Fantasma

I am using amigamerlin 2.9 because I think they are the best drivers available right now;)

AMD 1800+ xp voodoo3 2000 16Mb 320Mb SDRAM Win 98SE

Nightbird

i'm right but this pc is really small and the games old, the risk with the last drivers is that the old games don't run ; sometimes an "old" driver is a good choice specially with DirX7
but of course the amigamerlin's are an other good choice with nice picture quality

In-ter-ac-tive :

chevy2

thank guys .i'm very limitted to what games i can play on this slow pc.Fantasma why are you useing this old pci video card on your newer faster pc. ?:D

chevy2
chevy2

Fantasma

Because I haven´t more money to buy other card, my old system was a pentium II 350Mhz, but the next month I am going to buy a Geforce 4 Ti:D

chevy2

that sounds like a great card .hope you enjoy it. i wish i could aford a new computer.do you think the new mobo"S with on board video are fast enough for most of todays games ? and can you disable on board video & sound & install stand alone cards later ?  :D

chevy2
chevy2

Nightbird

Frankly, i don't like the mobo's "all integrated", specially when this is onboard video, probably more limited than a real gfx card (the last cards support 64, 128 mo of video memory..)
Remember the intel i810, a chipset with very poor 3D capabilities

This is the same thing with an integrated audio : the mobo's "first price" can have an AC97 audio sometimes sufficiant but the mobo's "high tech" can have now 6 channel audio... (and you need good sound system of course)

But you can always disable via a jumper on the mobo or via the bios (or sometimes the video can be disabled automatically) before installing a "real" gfx card  (on a slot AGP if you have this slot present or a slot PCI but in this last case, finding a PCI gfx card will be more difficult ) or an other sound card (easy)

In-ter-ac-tive :

chevy2

thanks nightbird. iwas wondering if these onboard video boards would run new games.i thought it would enable me to get a new system sooner if i didnt have to buy a new vid & sound card right away.would the on b video be better than my v3 2000 pci card?:D

chevy2
chevy2

Nightbird

you 're thinking about which onboard video motherboard ?

In-ter-ac-tive :

chevy2

probably a board that will run an amd chip,no specific board.[8D]

chevy2
chevy2

Seannzee

Hi all just wondered if anyone knows where i can get opengl v1.2 + as i cant find it anywhere for the voodoo 3 2000.

Please mail me with any replies: Seannzee@msn.com

Thanx 4 your time!

beta

Hi I'm new to this board.

I have one... well several questions which have been puzzling me for a while...

Do Amigamerlin 2.9 contain only VSA-100 board driver files, I have checked the archive and the readme file and it seems that way, as people are running voodoo 3's with these drivers, are they then in fact running a Voodoo 3 with VSA-100 drivers?  I have heard many people say that this improves the performance of a V3?  Some users have claimed there are in fact Voodoo 3 drivers (*.dll's *.drv's *.vxd's etc) in the Amigamerlin 2.9 driver package, which is contrary to the documentation supplied and the Archive itself.

Thanks in advance

beta

Fantasma

in the voodoo.inf there are some lines added for old voodoo 3´s so it´s compatible and a good driver, it´s like some drivers (like amigamerlin) that are voodoo 3/4/5 compatible.