Driver uninstall

Started by Ree, 25 February 2006, 10:47:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Ree

Mikulaish, are you sure I need to run Driver Cleaner BEFORE removing my voodoo from device manager?

Mikulaish

I'm sure you don't. I just updated from Amigasport to sfft, without uninstalling anything.This way i didn't have to reinstall 3dfx tools. You wanted to do a clean driver install, that is why i told you all this. You can just update the from the device manager without doing anything and all the new files will replace the old ones. That is if you say yes, when prompted : "overwrite with older, blabla".

Ree

Maybe we misunderstood each other...

What I found a bit strange is that you suggest cleaning the junk with driver cleaner BEFORE removing the driver via the device manager. I always thought it was the other way round - first remove the driver, then clean the junk with driver cleaner. Which is the correct order then? Just wanted to confirm.

Mikulaish

It doesn't matter at all, because uninstalling the driver will NOT remove any files. The driver core (3dfxvs.dll) is the only file that is loaded under 2d in windows. Beside this file the drivercleaner will remove any other driver component.(glide2x, glide3x...) There is absolutely no difference if you tell windows not to use that driver anymore (that is what driver uninstalling does) before or after removing other driver components. But if it pleases you, run it after driver uninstallation.

Ree

Ah that's how it is. Fine, now I see there's now difference.

Actually, when I got the '3dfxICD.dll not found' during SFFT installation, I also got a few more 'dll  not found' errors. I was suggested to 'fake' 3dfxICD.dll and give windows mesafx opengl32.dll renamed to 3dfxICD.dll. Well I did that, and the other dlls I simply skipped. The installation otherwise went well, also no module register errors while installing 3dfx tools + I got finally the Video gamma controlls in 3dfx tools. So it seems like SFFT installed quite well, even though windows still displays the card as Amigasport 3.0...

Actually I will try once more, this time with driver cleaner the way you suggested, everything from the start, and see how it goes.

Will report soon ;)

Mikulaish

Hope everything will work out fine.

Ree

Just tried driver cleaner. Actually it's pretty useless. It only deleted a few dlls that I deleted mysellf when uninstalling Amiga and installing SFFT. It still left lots of 3dfx 'traces' in my registry which I removed myself before, during the manual uninstallation. Btw how useless is that it reports 3dfxvs.dll and 3dfxvsm.sys as deleted files when those CANNOT be deleted, they get loaded immediately after they're deleted. Pretty useless indeed.

And yes, in new hardware found windows still indicates it as Amigasport...

No way to get rid of amiga I guess...