3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 Voodoo4/5 Discussions
 Flashing AGP Voodoo for Power Macintosh G4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author  Topic Next Topic  

TrevorNoah
Novice

USA

2 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2019 :  07:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To complicate matters, later Power Macintosh G4 computers used AGP pins 3 and 11 to carry power and USB through the proprietary ADC connector, allowing Mac video cards to power the Apple Cinema Display and communicate with USB devices connected to the monitor. These pins aren't utilized in the AGP2X/4X spec, but installing an AGP8X card into one of these G4s requires disconnecting those pins to avoid catastrophe.
First, getting some information out there so people can find it in 2018 and beyond:

I couldn't find anything online about flashing a Voodoo3 AGP on these ADC G4s, so I decided to give it a try. First I confirmed that on my V3 3000 AGP, pins 3 and 11 don't go anywhere. Then I installed the card into my Quicksilver G4's AGP slot, and a Mac Radeon in one of the PCI slots. I booted with the Radeon connected to my monitor, and ran the Voodoo3 flash utility. It detected the V3 and allowed me to flash the v3-166 (3000) ROM. Then I installed the 3Dfx driver extensions, shut down, and booted up with the Voodoo3 connected to the monitor. Success! Happy Mac icon, Mac OS 9.2.2 booted no problem, and the Unreal flyby was incredibly smooth in Glide mode 1024x768.
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2019 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums