Choosing Motherboard for V56K

Started by SnaG, 30 January 2006, 03:33:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SnaG

hi there

i know this is a well known topic,
but i am unsure which motherboard i should take..
This things should run on it, without any problems:
- V56K rev3700
- 3x 1GB Infineon CL2.5 DDR333
- Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller (motherboard must allow boot on SCSI)
- Barton 3000+  FSB333

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/v6k_faq.htm

the site says i can pick a Epox 8k3a+ or a 8k5a2+
which should i pick?
or are there any other opinions?

greetz SnaG

.SLeEP

In My Opinion, don't pick an Epox board. They're unreliable. Had two of them. Were once tested as the fastest and best boards by some hardware / gaming magazines, but the first one I had (8KHA+ was dead after 3 hours, the replacement board lived ~1 1/2 years... then also dead from one day to another.

Second baord I bought was one 8K3A+, which you mentioned. Had nice features (It even was able to run an Athlon XP Mobile Processor, but after a little more than 2 years, it also broke down without any reason.

Maybe I just had bad luck with Epox, but in my Opinion you should get another board for your expensive Voodoo 6000 than a board, that may eventually fail and kill your Video Card as well...

SnaG

hmm, any other opinions??

greetz SnaG

Obi-Wan Kenobi

EPoX EP-BX3  Intel i440BX
EPoX EP-8K5A2 VIA Apollo KT333
EPoX EP-8K5A2+ VIA Apollo KT333
EPoX EP-8K5A3+ VIA Apollo KT333
SOYO DRAGON ULTRA VIA Apollo KT333
GIGABYTE 7VRX(P)VIA Apollo KT333
TYAN DUAL XP S2466N TIGER MPX AMD AM760MPX  [Dual AthlonMP]
QDI Kudoz 7 VIA Apollo KT333
INTEL D815EEA2 Intel i815E for Pentium!!!
Intel OR840 Intel i840 for Pentium!!!

they all work fine also.

The EPoX EP-8K3A+ and the EP-8K5A2 are the most reliable and mostly used Motherboards, a bad experience doesn't make EPoX the worst brand, it's the best brand for the 6K by far hehe and the Tyan Tiger MPX is known as the best Dual AthlonMP board Though I'm not sure about the Tyan Thunder K7X pro.
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

Nightbird

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Obi-Wan Kenobi

woops I forgot to add the ASUS A7V333-R Rev.2.0 that board should work also only the Rev. 1.04 does not work dunno why the boards do look the same.
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

Nightbird

QuoteOriginally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi

woops I forgot to add the ASUS A7V333-R Rev.2.0 that board should work also only the Rev. 1.04 does not work dunno why the boards do look the same.
Forgot Asus and the A7V333 (R) (even 2.0).
My V5 6000 3400 A3 doesn't boot with this mobo and i'm not the only one (Cosworth6K... also if i remember correctly).
If the mobo runs perfectly with a V5 5500, it seems highly incompatible with the V5 6000.
But if you try your V5 6000 3700 on it and succeed, feel free to write here ... [:p]

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

SnaG

hmm ok, i'll pick the 8k5a2+ cause its newer than the 8k3a+

greetz SnaG

Obi-Wan Kenobi

@ Nightbird :)

hehe Nah Gary adviced me not to use it in the A7V333-R Rev.1.04 I have so I won't be bothered to do that, but I thought you had a V6K Rev.A 3700 setup with A7V333 Rev.2.0 , oh well might be confused with something else hehe.

Anyways next week I'll be getting a new boxed EPoX EP-8K5A2 that should work okay :)