OpenGL problems with AmigaMerlin 3.0 XP Drivers

Started by NitroX infinity, 11 September 2003, 10:33:53

Previous topic - Next topic

NitroX infinity

Thank you all so much, the program is running again :D

Nightbird

thks for the report :)

if you have others problems, come back here ;)

Network powered by 3Dfx and AMD

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

qrazi

you dont need to put the .700 icd in the \system directory... put it in the same dir as the *.exe of anim8tor, and then the 700 icd should be used...
at least this works with games like enemy territory and il2 sturmovik (which i respectively run with glidexp's opengl32.dll and wickedgl's opengl32.dll )

/edit: i tried to use the glidexp opengl32.dll just for the heck of it, and it gave an other error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"

ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

Steve

HI, I'm the author of Anim8or so maybe I can answer some of these questions.

*Can you control the colordepth of Anim8r before running it?
Anim8or doesn't try to change the color depth but uses the current
desktop settings.  It does check the color depth and bails out with
an error dialog if you aren't in 16 bpp or higher.

*Anything in the docs (like initial bits per pixel it runs in)?
See above.

*Does this Anim8r use stenciling? Destination alpha buffering?
Anim8or does not use stenciling ot alpha buffering.

Anim8or uses a single window to draw all of it's OpenGL.  However it is a child window, not a top level window.  This causes some driver problems.  I suspect that it is the main problem with the final DX8 release of the VooDoo drivers (the one that 3DFX made just before they vanished) but I'm not absolutely sure about this.  And, no, I'm not going to rewrite Anim8or to change this because it's far too much work.  

Anim8or also changes the viewport and uses the scissor when it draws multiple views.  This can cause some problems as well where only one of the views is shown, particularly in SIS drivers but also in some Intel so-called "Extreme" drivers.

There are other things that Anim8or does that aren't normally done in games, such as drawing with a stipple mask, front buffer rendering, using glBitmaps, drawing in XOR mode, and copying areas of the frame buffer from the back buffer to the front.  I'm slowly revising the code to do less of this over time for certain features as it's practical.

Hope this helps, or at least is interesting.

Steve

Glide

:)

Welcome Steve and many, many tnx for your explanatory post.
AM 3.0 driver partially derives from 3dfx releases so it carried out an old bug with your fine software.

Well, with your words and Nightbird brain power (;)) we now know as run Anim8r on 3dfx platforms.

Just i made sticky this topic one, naturally [^]

Bye bye

koolsmoky

What's the required PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR for Anim8r?

koolsmoky

I did a little digging around and Anim8or is requesting 24bit color and depth. The 3dfx OpenGL ICD 1.0.0.0761 probably doesn't support this format. Is there a option to force Anim8or to run in 32bit color with 24bit depth?

NitroX infinity

I found another problem.

In anim8or the screen is divided into 1 view when you start up, the front view. You can change this to other views (side, top, ortho, perspective) or you can divide the screen into 4 views.
Unfortunately, this is a problem with AM3.0xp.
The "4 views mode" is not functioning properly, it only shows 1 view in a smaller size, it does not show the other three views.

Here's an image of the one-view mode: http://members.home.nl/markhuizing/oneview.jpg

Here's an image of the correct 4 view mode: http://members.home.nl/markhuizing/wireframe.gif

Here's an image of how the 4 view mode is with AM3.0XP in combination with the older OpenGL driver:
http://members.home.nl/markhuizing/fourview.jpg

koolsmoky

The problem is with the OpenGL driver. The 3dfx OpenGL ICD probably can't handle multiple contexts. The windows display driver and miniport has little to do with it.

NitroX infinity

You mean to tell me that the problem now lies with the old OpenGL driver (version 1.0.0.0700). Geez, talk about crappy drivers [:(!]

Darn, now I gotta install different drivers again.
Guys, I really hope you can fix these OpenGL drivers for the next version because this is simply bad work.

koolsmoky

Nice response. The AM3.0 includes new windows display, miniport, and Glide drivers. The OpenGL driver is the original driver from 3dfx. I've said the problem is with the OpenGL driver from the very begining of my post. Well I guess it was wrong to provide information.

Nightbird

@Koolmosky
hi,
well, if the opengl icd .700 was the solution with "old" versions of Anim8r , can we think that the last version of Anim8r "created" a new problem ?

Network powered by 3Dfx and AMD

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

koolsmoky

Single view works with current Anim8or and 1.0.0.0700. 4 view mode doesn't work. What I'd like to know is if there is an older 3dfx win2k driver set that works with 4 view mode. I've had enough with analyzing OpenGL calls. I feel stupid that I even tried to help.

NitroX infinity

Yeah, the original 3dfx Win2k drivers work.

@nightbird:
the word "old" applies to the opengl drivers, not anim8or.

koolsmoky

So your using win2k and 4 view mode work fine with the 3dfx 1.04 driver set?