3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 Voodoo4/5 Setup and tweaking
 Sugestions for VooDoo based projects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Italia 1
Novice

Italy
6 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  00:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Italia 1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking to do a sli with 2 Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, can one of you give me an hand ? I'm searching for datasheets and similar for know pin connectors in "P4" in v5 pci but I've found never with google.
I've see the V5 6000 have a "HINT" chip, do it separe instruction for 2 couples of VSA 100 ?

Go to Top of Page

r21vo
Average

Latvia

294 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2005 :  19:41:56  Show Profile  Visit r21vo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you have any knowledge + tools + gold hands to even try? I thought it's nearly impossible..

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv
Go to Top of Page

Italia 1
Novice

Italy
6 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2005 :  20:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Italia 1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why impossible ??
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2005 :  21:22:43  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
it requires hardware modifications+creating your own drivers.are you up to this?

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

Italia 1
Novice

Italy
6 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2005 :  23:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Italia 1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no, but i think i'm not the first to think this mod. which hardware modifications will i need ?
Go to Top of Page

NitroX infinity
Average

Netherlands
352 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2005 :  08:40:40  Show Profile  Visit NitroX infinity's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You probably would need to build a completely new PCB (the green board on which all the stuff goes), seeing as there is no option on the current boards for adding a SLI connector.

Second, you'd need a bridge chip like the HINT to enable this.
And where would you put that?

If you do succeed, I wouldn't go for two V5 cards in SLI.
I'd go for a separate board with the HINT bridge chip (plus AGP 8x) and 4 seperate V4 PCI cards. Much more potential since the V4's are newer and have greater overclocking potential. Also, if you get the right V4's you can 'easily' change the RAM from 32MB to 64MB. Which would give you a 256MB setup. And V4's don't need to be hooked up to your power supply.

Edited by - NitroX infinity on 14/04/2005 08:42:18
Go to Top of Page

Italia 1
Novice

Italy
6 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2005 :  13:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Italia 1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, but i've only 2 v5 pci and 2 agp... So you think i need a "hint" ? mmmhh...
Go to Top of Page

NitroX infinity
Average

Netherlands
352 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2005 :  16:09:48  Show Profile  Visit NitroX infinity's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, and a PCB designed with SLI connectors and the bridge chip on one of those PCB's. Also, you'd probably have a hard time removing the VSA-100's from the old PCB's. So you would probably need to buy 'new' VSA-100 chips.

In short, you'd have to make your own card. With the current cards it's just not possible because they weren't designed that way.
Go to Top of Page

Italia 1
Novice

Italy
6 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2005 :  00:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Italia 1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But... a driver done for it can resolve ? The 6000 card have a "hint", but only one connector (AGP). 2 5500 have 2 pci connectors... i there is a driver what separe line of image for each card....
The problem is rebuild image in only 1 card.....
Go to Top of Page

NitroX infinity
Average

Netherlands
352 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2005 :  10:31:15  Show Profile  Visit NitroX infinity's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, SLI is done by hardware, not software. Besides, how would you have both cards connected to the same monitor?

If it was possible to do this with software, don't you think someone from 3dfx, ATi or nVidia would have already done it?
Go to Top of Page

BFG3dfx
Initiate

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  04:26:47  Show Profile  Visit BFG3dfx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, ive got one v4 with 5.5 ram, if i can find another how hard will it be to take ram of those cards and put on v5? ok. ok. on a scale of one to ten. i have a steady hand i just cant see.

you live on your knees im gonna die on my feet.

caifornia native
Go to Top of Page

hanksemenec
Initiate

USA

71 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:30:15  Show Profile  Visit hanksemenec's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SDRAM replacement is not that hard for a skilled tech. I use a heat gun to remove the SDRAMs and then put them back on. Use enough flux and check your work closely (use a good SMT iron tip). I have done that on V5 6K with borrowed SDRAM from AAlchemy. When I did it, I made mistakes though, and had to take the card under microscope to find the solder bridge. I guess I am getting old and the eye site is going.

I do not know if that will buy you anything in speed improvement. Later on the -6 SDRAMs were marked down faster SDRAMs, since the memory vendor's wafers yielded faster then -6 on average. I have found the -6 memory will oveclock as easily as -55 and -54.

I would rate the job as 5, medium difficulty.

Hank
Go to Top of Page

BFG3dfx
Initiate

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  03:43:23  Show Profile  Visit BFG3dfx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ty for the info hank, i checked some web sites out on repairs but ive never taken parts off before, im not a teckie for sure. as far as the memory goes i saw a few broken AAlchemy boards on ebay a month or so back but guy would not tell what ram it had, do they all have the sam ram? if so what speed. as for the -6 ram you must be right because ive had my 5500 agp w/ -6 ram at 200 with n/p for the 2001se test loop of 3 times but could not run over 204 w/o little lights, those little spec's is that the ram do you think? sorry for all the question's i love these 3dfx cards and use nothing else so its important for me to have as much speed as possible without killing my cards, BFG.....................P.S. i got a 3dfx case mod in the works, got 2 peltiers on the 5500, and a few other nice touches, ive been taking photo and am gonna do a web site of 3dfx mod's just in case anyone else like this stuff too, cheers

caifornia native
Go to Top of Page

BFG3dfx
Initiate

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  03:46:06  Show Profile  Visit BFG3dfx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
off topic i know sry................I guess I am getting old and the eye site is going..........lol. im 43 and mine starting going at 40, really i need some glasses i guess

caifornia native
Go to Top of Page

BFG3dfx
Initiate

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  03:50:42  Show Profile  Visit BFG3dfx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i hear your very busy hank so im sorry to bother you so much, a company offered to sell me 80 pieces of -5 ram for around 9 bucks a ram and he said it was so cheap because it was refurb, does that sound like an ok price and do you think -5 well matter if it didnt make much difference with 5.4, BFG

caifornia native
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2017 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums