Rampage working with experimental driver.

Started by osckhar, 11 October 2013, 13:29:45

Previous topic - Next topic

osckhar

Here the beast!

My Rampage (yupe, I own it :) ) with test socket labeled #B009 with a fully Rampage chip decapped.

I am using an experimental driver sent me a SW engineer worked on Rampage project. It is dated from October 2000.

At the moment driver is only compatible with Win95/98SE/ME and only D3D support. There is an experimental OpenGL.dll but I still did not test it.

Actually using an ABIT SA7 with a PIV3GHZ, Win98SE and DX8.1

3DMark'99 - DX6.1

More pics very soon!

Regards,
Oscar.

Glide

Hi osckhar, this is a magic thread :) and that 3dfx video card simply impressive. And I think that driver is a good start point and the last screenshots with bump mapping look very nice.

Let us know as the system works with games and OpenGL apps, if the current driver allows it of course.

Compliments.

Bye bye

osckhar

Hi Glide!

Yupe, this card is amazing. A dream for a 3Dfx Collector.

Now testing DX SW. Anyway, I will try with the beta openGL.dll and check what happens.

Here news SShots 3DMark2000 - DX7.

Enjoy them!

Regards,
Oscar.

jix-reggio

Hi Oschkar,
You have been working hard on it,
but now that's the magic instant !
:)
Superb work.

osckhar

Thanks @jix-reggio

Some SShots UT in OpenGL mode with an experimental library. Quality is bad but games works enough fast.  Anyway, it looks as in Software mode though.

NOTE- PICS BELOW ARE NOT IN OPENGL if not in SW MODE

UNREAL TOURNAMENT  - OpenGL

UNREAL TOURNAMENT - DX
- Game locks up  very often. I need to test it much better.

Regards,
Oscar.

Glide

osckhar

@Glide, I will try but not sure it can helps since Rampage Chip is based new design/code. Nothing to see with VSA-100 family.

3DMark2001SE - DX8.1

VERY surprised when I saw DOT3 Bump Mapping and Environment Bump Mapping supported via HW. First 3Dfx card handling such tests.  :D

Regards,
Oscar.

H-street

thats great :-)  its kindof nice to look at what we have today with the Titan and now the R9 295X from AMD coming out and the sheer raw power that these cards produce and to think it all started back with a small chip by 3dfx called the Voodoo :-)

osckhar

THE LONGEST JOURNEY - D3D

I love how looks the game, especially sea and sky.

Regards,
Oscar.

Glide

What a pity for the driver's experimental level! This card seems to have a very great potential...Thanks.

Bye bye

ALLEN2

QuoteOriginally posted by Glide

What a pity for the driver's experimental level! This card seems to have a very great potential...Thanks.

Bye bye

Isn't just a mini voodoo 5 5500

osckhar

@ALLEN2- no, it is a new architecture nothing to see with VSA-100 family. A card never reached the market. It is a pure prototype stoped when Nvidia 'killed' 3Dfx Inc.
----------

Not a fair comparative for the Rampy but we can check how it perform using an experimental unfinished driver. It needs a lot of work though.

Test done:

• Abit SA7 PIV@3GHz / DX8.1
    • 3DMark2001SE
    • 800x600 16Bits.
    • Core /Mem @166MHz[/b] (3Dfx tools shows by defect 183MHz on Rampage and lowered to @166MHz as V4 AGP).

Interesting to see Rampage potential. Only debugging the driver for getting a normal value in single Fill rate texturing. It could get more than 1000MTexel fill rate multi texturing (4 pipe x TMU) but here the king is V5-6000!

Regards,
    Oscar.

ALLEN2

Ah, I always thought it was a voodoo 5 in a cheaper or smaller form. Speaking of a voodoo 5, how long does the pci version of the 5500 last for?

osckhar

Hi,

UT DEMO image quality comparative between D3D and SW render.

UT DEMO
800X600
RAMPAGE #B003

Native D3D looks better but not amazing.

- Oscar

Glide

Hi osckhar,

as you know well, to get an amazing look of UT using a 3dfx card...you must run that game with the GLide APIs. [:p]

Thanks you for the images ;).

Bye bye