3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 Voodoo4/5 Setup and tweaking
 MPEG2 decoding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

funkaster
Novice

Chile
2 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2005 :  00:41:00  Show Profile  Visit funkaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I've just removed the dust from my Voodoo5 5500 (mac version), put it in my new PC (with Windows2000) and flashed it with a PC bios.
It's working ok, but now I want to decode MPEG2 videos (watch dvds). Is it possible to do that with this card?... I remember I was able to use it to decode DVDs on my mac, so I assume it must be the same in a PC...
thanks for any advice.

funkaster./

Nightbird

1938 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2005 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Nightbird's Homepage  Send Nightbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A software DVD player will do the job very well.

quote:
remember I was able to use it to decode DVDs on my mac

how ?

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

funkaster
Novice

Chile
2 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2005 :  18:23:37  Show Profile  Visit funkaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightbird

A software DVD player will do the job very well.

ok, but then I won't be using the hardware decoder that's on the Voodoo, right?

quote:

how ?

I just used the apple dvd player. My mac wasn't a G4, so no altivec decoder, it was a slow G3, without the card, playing a DVD was like watching a slideshow.

funkaster./
Go to Top of Page

r21vo
Average

Latvia

294 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2005 :  02:18:09  Show Profile  Visit r21vo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well v4/5 support "DVD hardware assist: planar to packed-pixel conversion", but i'm not aware about software which take advantage of this feature. Just try out some apps (powerdvd, windvd for example) and see if there's any difference.

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv
Go to Top of Page

darkfalz
Initiate

53 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  08:13:44  Show Profile  Visit darkfalz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The YUV conversions aren't a big deal, but they do take a tiny bit of load off the CPU.

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood)
Motherboard ASUS P4P800 Deluxe RAM 1 GB Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 Dual Channel
Video NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP 256 MB Audio SoundMAX Digital Audio

OS Microsoft Windows ME CPU Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz (Coppermine)
Motherboard ASUS P3V4X RAM 256 MB Kingston PC133 2-2-2-6
Video 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64 MB Audio Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2014 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums