Peltier for cooling VSA-100?

Started by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman, 16 July 2005, 18:19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Well I noticed there's a lot of 40mmX40mm peltier out there (or 40x50), like [url"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80150&item=6785494171&rd=1]this one[/url].

So how about using peltier-based cooler for Vooodoo5 or Voodoo4? Anyone has done this before? What is the advantage and disadvantage of using peltier for Voodoo5? Would an overkill cooling system actually make it worse for the Voodoos? (IIRC Intel processors cannot work in temperature below 5 C; how about VSA-100?)

bloodworm

which intel processors were you told cannot work below 5C????  I have tested PII's and PIII's to negative 60C with no ill affects, as long as all of the CACHE ram was embedded in the processor.  I had one motherboard with cache ram on the motherboard, and it failed right at 0C like clockwork. I had the manufacturer of the motherboard populate a couple og MB's with different ram, and I got all the way down to negative 60C no problems.  The way I stumbled onto the cache ram being bad, was I disabled the cache in the bios and the board worked after that.
Bloody Mess

Raff3DC

I doubt it would be helpful in any way. Even if you could overclock the chip a little higher, the VRAM would be the limitation factor. The only senseful combination in my humble opinion: peltier and vmod. =D

Without a vmod normal air cooling or water is absolutely sufficient.

Greetings from Germany,
Raff
The biggest Voodoo5 6000 test ever: http://3dcenter.de/artikel/voodoo5-6000/

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

QuoteOriginally posted by Raff3DC

I doubt it would be helpful in any way. Even if you could overclock the chip a little higher, the VRAM would be the limitation factor. The only senseful combination in my humble opinion: peltier and vmod. =D

Without a vmod normal air cooling or water is absolutely sufficient.

Greetings from Germany,
Raff

Actually OCing is not my goal (I'll only overclock ocassionaly when testing new games, but the rest of it will be normal speed); I'm just looking for the best, and the most silent cooling solution for my V5. Watercooling is too bulky, while I don't think Heatsink is sufficient (I live in tropical country). I thought peltier would do best, since it's not as bulky as watercooling, and it's silent as well (unlike fans).

But.. I just discovered that we actually need HS and fan to use peltier. Am I correct? :(

BFG3dfx

unless you dont want peltier too work, you take heat off one side and it cools the other, i did a mod on it but my case aint done so havent tested it yet. if your just looking for silent then go with bigger heatsink to disapate the heat
you live on your knees im gonna die on my feet.

caifornia native

hanksemenec

Peltier I used before drew about 2A from 12V, by itself. It will add another 24W to the total system. So you have to remove the heat generated by VSA100 and Peltier device. Passive cooling will not do.

Hank