4500 agp help

Started by princess, 14 July 2005, 14:20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

princess

okay, i know this part of the forums doesn't get much action, but i figured the topic fit here best.

anyway, i know i've seen somewhere that people have built 4500 agp cards from 3dfx with 64MB of ram by filling the empty spaces on the pcb.

what i want to know, is if they can take more by using higher density ram chips.

i'm not exactly satisfied with the performance that my voodoo 3 is giving me, and relying on software emulation stresses my system too much for my liking.

now, i am trying not to build anymore socket a systems and move to a64 instead. but the only card that will work on an a64 board is the retail 4500 agp.

so really, i'm interested in getting a 4500 agp, and replacing the ram with higher density and faster rated chips.

so is this possible? and what is the max core speed i should be able to expect so i can get appropriately timed ram?

Nightbird

Quotenow, i am trying not to build anymore socket a systems and move to a64 instead. but the only card that will work on an a64 board is the retail 4500 agp
A 5500 PCI will work also.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Rolo01

More than 64MB is not possible, this is the max. amount a single VSA100 can adress.

princess

ugh, pci. ::shudder::

lol, in all seriousness, i have to agree, the 5500 pci seems like the best bet for using voodoo graphics in newer systems.

sadly, i guess, i'm stuck with looking into a 64 mb voodoo4.

was that limit on daytonas too? not that i could ever afford one of those, nor that the agp version had room for any more ram, though i remember seeing somewhere that they had plans for serious amounts of ram with that chip.

thanks you gentlemen for the answers. now i just need to get a card or two for the ram.

any ideas on whether the core has any headroom that faster ram could exploit? [:(] want daytona

benna

everybody wants daytona!;) but only few people have it[:(]
i suggest you to find a v5 pci and install this on your pc, like i did;), because a v4 with 64mb is slower than a v5 with 64mb
my PC:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ - ASUS K8V-Deluxe - 1GB DDR400 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

3DAnalyze user guide http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/articles/template.php?id=5