PCI-E 3.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot?

Started by MewZ, 07 August 2012, 18:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MewZ

Hi, does anyone know if a PCI Express 3.0 card will work in a 1.0 slot? I heard that 3.0 is backwards compatible and I do know that it works in 2.0/2.1 slots but what about 1.0?

My mainboard is an ASUS P5B-SE, now running a HD5450 PCI-E 2.1 card.

I just ordered a HD7750 yesterday (which is 3.0) and it should arrive tomorrow morning. It will probably be really bottlenecked by the 1.0 slot, but will it work at all?

Thank you.:)

Glide

Hi MewZ,

you're welcome.

Regarding you question, being the PCI-Express 3.0 standard backward-compatible with all the prior PCI-Express implementations, there're not low level issues with a hardware configuration if you install a Radeon HD7750 video card on your motherboard.

Of course, as you're writing, you can theoretically get a limitation for the overall performances, because a PCI-Express 3.0 device works at 8.0GT/s (GigaTransfers per Second) like maximum value, while your motherboard's PCI-Express 1.0 slot supports only 2.5GT/s.

In general, of course an useful tip for stability and optimization purpose is to upgrade your PSU with a high power model.

Bye bye

MewZ

Thanks, Glide.
My video card arrived this morning and it works perfectly, I haven't encountered any problems so far. :)

Glide

Hi MewZ,

I'm happy for your new hardware :)

So...good gaming now.

Bye bye