3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 Hardware Components
 AMD / ATI Video Cards
 PCI-E 3.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MewZ
Novice

2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  18:30:41  Show Profile  Visit MewZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, does anyone know if a PCI Express 3.0 card will work in a 1.0 slot? I heard that 3.0 is backwards compatible and I do know that it works in 2.0/2.1 slots but what about 1.0?

My mainboard is an ASUS P5B-SE, now running a HD5450 PCI-E 2.1 card.

I just ordered a HD7750 yesterday (which is 3.0) and it should arrive tomorrow morning. It will probably be really bottlenecked by the 1.0 slot, but will it work at all?

Thank you.

Glide
Web Admin

Napoli

24432 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Glide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi MewZ,

you're welcome.

Regarding you question, being the PCI-Express 3.0 standard backward-compatible with all the prior PCI-Express implementations, there're not low level issues with a hardware configuration if you install a Radeon HD7750 video card on your motherboard.

Of course, as you're writing, you can theoretically get a limitation for the overall performances, because a PCI-Express 3.0 device works at 8.0GT/s (GigaTransfers per Second) like maximum value, while your motherboard's PCI-Express 1.0 slot supports only 2.5GT/s.

In general, of course an useful tip for stability and optimization purpose is to upgrade your PSU with a high power model.

Bye bye

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Join us! | 3dfxzone.it | hwsetup.it | forumzone.it
Go to Top of Page

MewZ
Novice

2 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Visit MewZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Glide.
My video card arrived this morning and it works perfectly, I haven't encountered any problems so far.
Go to Top of Page

Glide
Web Admin

Napoli

24432 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  14:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Glide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi MewZ,

I'm happy for your new hardware :)

So...good gaming now.

Bye bye

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Join us! | 3dfxzone.it | hwsetup.it | forumzone.it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2014 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums