World of Warcraft, Voodoo 3, 3d-Analyze unworking

Started by stwong, 27 June 2005, 03:03:38

Previous topic - Next topic

stwong

Alright, everyone's favorite masochist here.  My brother got World of Warcraft recently.  I'm inclined to join him.  My GeForce FX5600 256mb DT+ from ABIT died recently.  It's the third one they've sent me, and the third one I'll send back.  So, to summarize, no ABIT products will be used in the making of this gaming experience.  3dfx, you are my hero.  I had an old 3dfx Voodoo3 AGP that my brother used (I didn't have a motherboard with AGP back in the time that we used Voodoos, so my old Voodoo was a Voodoo3 PCI--almost as kickass) that I subbed in.

That makes my system configuration as follows:
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    512mb of some generic memory
    3dfx Voodoo3 AGP
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster

Great.  Keep in mind that the last upgrade was to the video card.  You know, to the dead ABIT card.  Shall I remind you that ABIT ships lots of defective products?  I shall.

I got 3d-Analyze.  I also downloaded the DirectX 9.0c redistributible AND the SDK.  The SDK says my operating system is unsupported and bails.  Okay, Microsoft doesn't like the fact that I still use Windows 2000.  Someone, please shove a rake up the management's ass and tell them to stop insisting that everyone phone home about their use of Windows.  Speaking of phoning home, the redistributable for DirectX 9.0c tries.  Repeatedly.  1200 blocked packets later, DirectX is updated to 9.0c.

Step two.  Install World of Warcraft.  I am handed an unholy packet of four little compact discs.  Each of them spews roughly 700mb of stuff onto my computer, since Blizzard is always efficient.  I install World of Warcraft, and watch Star Wars Episode 3 in the meantime.  Some of the writing in that movie was terrible.  Great, World of Warcraft is installed.

Next, I curiously try running World of Warcraft.  My video card is not supported.  Go to hell.  Unzip 3d-Analyze.  Run 3d-Analyze.  Open World of Warcraft's executable.  Check all emulation options (HW TnL, other DX8.1 caps, pixel shaders, bump maps, max sim. textures) and run World of Warcraft through 3d-Analyze.  Get to the login screen.  Realize that my brother just got a group.  Wait.

Brother's group finally breaks up.  Yay for a 175mb patch.  Seeing as Blizzard ripped off Bittorrent, this should only take 15 minutes or so...  Too bad that applying the patch takes longer than downloading it.  I read the patch news while it patches.  Twice.  I also organize a crapload of MP3s.  I break into a Blizzard developer's house and rearrange his CDs.

Okay, so I'm in World of Warcraft, pop into the login screen.  Log in.  That works.  Find a realm.  Check.  Use the realm I need to.  Yay.  Select a character.  Pop in.  Notice that there are no character models being displayed.  About 15 seconds later, as the character model probably should be popping in, watch as World of Warcraft freezes.  And that's where I'm stuck now.

Disabling textures doesn't seem to help--still crashes.  I'll try it again with an attempt at logging the crash and writing any shaders being used to a file, but somehow I doubt this will yield much.  Anyone here have input as to what might be occuring?

To try to elaborate: The 3d engine starts, and is rendering the world.  My character does not appear.  Ever.  I can run around for a few seconds without any incident, but after those few seconds are up, the game spontaneously crashes.  It is not a hard crash--something's stuck in a loop or something.  The game still responds to alt-tab, and the game still responds to "end task"...

secretfj

seems world of warcraft can be run in OpenGL mode...
maybe the best way to utilize your V3 is SFFT Driver + MesaFX
No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

Raff3DC

Have you tried the SFFT Alpha 31?

But don't think you could play WoW fluently on a Voodoo3 ... My Voodoo5 5500 PCI even "sucks" @ 185/185 in this game. You have to set lowest range of sight, then it's playable. Try to overclock it to the max, if it finally runs. :D

Greetings from Germany,
Raff
The biggest Voodoo5 6000 test ever: http://3dcenter.de/artikel/voodoo5-6000/

ps47

I doubt 3danalyze will help you here.the best thing you can do is download and install the latest SFFT driver,load it via the device manager (aka manual install),set the details as low as you can and hope for the best.voodoo4 can run this game fine,but voodoo3 lacks some features,I'm quite surprised you have gotten as far as that..

stwong

Thanks for the advice.  I'm finding out how to install SFFT, downloading it, and looking at the MesaFX stuff.  Praying that I don't screw up my nVidia's drivers in the meantime, heh.

Raff3DC

It works!! I've just tried WoW on my Voodoo3 2000 PCI @ 190/190 with the Amigamerlin 3.1-R11 (based on the SFFT Alpha 29) and was simply stunned! No missing textures and playable with minimum line of sight. Incredible. :D

Greetings,
Raff

Rolo01

Hey Raff,
can you post some screenshots of WoW on a V3 ?
Would be nice...

ps47

wow.this is truly a punch.never thought it would really work without serious problems..

Raff3DC

Ok, I have to take my statement back -- partly. It works fine with minimum line of sight, but in some worlds texture problems are a little worse than on a Voodoo5. And in some cases you can see just this:

A too big floor texture, I assume. In Ironforge are no texture problems, which was also the reason why I posted the above.

However, I'm still impressed. :-) The strangest thing is the extreme CPU limitation: 1024x768x16 runs almost as fast as 800x600 ... But 1280x1024 is nearly unplayable. ;-)

Greetings,
Raff

ps47

yes,seems like the old 256*256 texture res limit is making trouble again..wonder if this can be fixed by proper ini tweaking..too bad the game wont run with mesafx under opengl.D3D sw rescaling,anyone..?