Voodoo 2 not working with GTA: Vice City

Started by puma, 23 July 2003, 05:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

puma

I've installed GTA: Vice city, but it doesn't work correctly[:(!]. I think it may be because directx 9 does not support Voodoo 2. Does anybody know a way to fix this problem? I'd like to play GTA but it doesn't seem to be possibly[V].
Thanx

sakhr2

Was it launched or it crach and return to desktop after lunching? How much video memory do you have in you v2?8Mo or 12Mo? and which windows do you have?

Zorro
Zorro

puma

The game was launched. I can play it but its very slow and sound and video stops everytime. I've got voodoo 2 8Mo, and Windows 98 SE.

Puma

sakhr2

I think the problem is from the small amount of the video memory you have. If you can launch the game with your V2 that's a miracle. There are some tips to gain some FPS. For instance, reduce the resolution to 640*480, medium quality and use the last driver for Win98SE FastVooDoo2 3.5 that will increase the game a little bit.

Zorro
Zorro

puma

puma

Well, I think I'm a little novice in this things. I've installed fast voodoo 2 3.5, including de Wicked GL and the tweaker, but I don't know how to use them. The game still doesn't work.

sakhr2

First of all, Vice city is a Direct3D game so you don't need the Wicked Gl which work only with OpenGl games. You shouldn't overclock your V2 more than 100Mhz. Theoricly, there is a way to launch Vice city in the openGl mode by using d3d-opengl wrapper, first you install the wickedgl then you will find in the folder installed a .dll file named Open32.dll. you copy it in GTA3 folder and you configure the wrapper. Finally you lunch the game. But i cannot ansure that it will work. The problem is in the lack of the ammount of memory. You will do better if you have another v2 8Mo on SLI mode to have in total 16mo.

Zorro
Zorro