Using V3/2000 PCI as a secondary card??

Started by Ooops, 22 June 2005, 15:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Ooops

Hi. I hope there is still someone active in here...

Before i write a lengthy explanation of my problems with getting my beloved old Voodoo 3/2000 PCI! to work next to my (not sooo old ATI Radeon 8500 AGP) I would like to know one thing in advance:

Can i play a game (UnrealTournament 99 in my case) on a Voodoo 3/2000 PCI that is installed along with a primary AGP card (ATI Radeon in my case)??

I am having troubles to get it working in Win XP Pro at all, so if what I intend to use it for is not possible, then I can save the time of getting it to work. I am not using a second monitor, I don't need an extended desktop, all I wanted to do is unplug the monitor from the ATI and plug it into the Voodoo if i play UT... is that possible??

thanx a lot in advance!
Athlon 64 3000+ | Radeon 8500 | Voodoo 3 2000 PCI | WinXP Pro SP2

ps47

perfectly possible.all you need is a "LITE" driver (a driver without 3dfx tools),amigasport 3.0XP lite or SFFT driver.install the driver,reboot,and you are all set.if you want to play on the voodoo3,set it as primary in the display properties,click apply and switch the monitor cable.you can use Vcontrol as replacement for 3dfx tools..

Ooops

wow that was prompt!!

It's nice to hear that it SHOULD be possible, now here is my problems of getting it to work...

I ran into the Voodoo 3 FAQ and item 14 pretty much says what I am experiencing here:

14. I'm getting a blank screen after the Windows logo. How do I correct this?

Generally after installing the drivers for the Voodoo3 2000, a black screen will occur if the system is not handling the Bus Mastering properly. This happens on some of the Socket 7 AGP motherboards. Contact the motherboard manufacturer for all the latest drivers for the motherboard and install those drivers . There should not be any further issues once the drivers are installed. Another possibility is that the refresh rate is set to high for the monitor. You will need to go into Safe Mode and bring the refresh rate down to Adapter Default to adjust the refresh rate

I also get a blank screen when i plug the monitor cable into the voodoo inside windows...

If I set the "init display first" to PCI, my Voodoo works well until the moment it should display the Windows-Login screen. Its simply blank, though windows is still working (i can log in although i won't see a thing...)

Now the answers to that FAQ don't really apply to me. Don't ask me what socket type mobo I have. It's a small 64bit mobo designed for shuttle pcs, the processor is an amd athlon 64bit 3000+ (since it has been my all-time most stable/reliable system ever, I never had to look up these things ^^)
And my monitor should be able to manage the refreshrate (85hz@1280x1024, 100hz@1024x768)...

What did I do so far? I removed the non-functioning 3dfx tools of the AmigaSport 3.0 Installation. Then I installed Driver Cleaner, booted into Safe Mode (where the voodoo works btw !!!), uninstalled the driver and used Driver Cleaner to remove the rest...

Then I booted into Windows again and installed the SFFT Drivers. Voodoo still won't work...

I can't change the Voodoos screen resolution which is stuck at 1280x1024x32 (which is my Radeon setting).
I then set the Radeon to 1024x768x16 (which the Voodoo should be able to display as far as i remember from "the old times"), I then did the whole uninstallation of the SFFT drivers again (DriverCleaner in SafeMode) and booted into Windows with 1024x768x16 this time and installed SFFT again...
The Voodoo AGAIN was at 1280x1024x32, whereas the Radeon stayed at the 1024x768x16... hmmm
Still no go if I plug the monitor into the Voodoo

I DO have all the other options to set in the Video Options (resolution and color depth). It just resets them to that darn 1280x1024x32 everytime I press apply... (and if I remember correctly, the Voodoo was never built for 32bit Color, nor 1280x1024???)

Any suggestions as to what I can do?? Is there a way to configure the resolution settings of the Voodoo in the registry somewhere?? It DOES work in Windows Safe Mode, no idea why... Maybe it keeps remembering the settings from the first time I installed it into the system, and whenever I uninstall/install, it just changes the drivers but not the video settings?

I'm a bit stuck here... Thanx a lot for your time so far ps47

Edit: I looked up my mobo specs: It's a socket 939 with an NVidia NForce chipset, the processor is an Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8Ghz (socket 939) if that helps in any way =)

ps47

hmm..basicaly I just plug in the voodoo3 card,load the latest SFFT driver,reboot,and I'm ready to go.when I want to play on the voodoo3,I will just open display properties/settings,select the voodoo3 and set it as primary display (you will have to check "extend my windows desktop on this monitor" first,after that the "use this device as primary monitor" option will become available),and disable "extend desktop" on my radeon.when I click apply,the screen goes black,I will turn off the monitor,plug it in the voodoo3,turn it back on and thats all (one reboot may be required to properly initalize the monitor driver).I will post screens later..I have no idea what could be wrong,try doing it as I described..btw,you are using xp,right?

ps47

ok,screens:

go to display properties/settings.you should see something like this (voodoo3 driver is already installed).your radeon card should be selected (highligted,its the monitor no. 1)

Image Insert:

38.53 KB

select the voodoo3 display.(you can choose the resolution for the voodoo3 now.mine is 1280*1024*32.just like the radeon.)

Image Insert:

40.95 KB

check the "extend my windows desktop on this monitor" checkbox.

Image Insert:

39.96 KB

check the "use this device as primary monitor" checkbox.

Image Insert:

38.9 KB

select the radeon card (monitor no. 1).uncheck the "extend my windows desktop on this monitor" checkbox.

Image Insert:

38.35 KB

click apply,the screen will go black,turn off the monitor,plug it to the voodoo3 card,turn it off,you should have picture.reboot,and you are ready to roll.with a little practice,you can do it in five seconds..

Ooops

sorry, took some time, i passed my very last exam at university today ^^ no more studying no more hehe

IT WORKS!!!!!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS, and i am a humble newb =)
SO SIMPLE, i had it before i found out you already had those screenies posted, so your description was pretty accurate =)

works like a charm now, since I never had the idea of switching primary/secondary FIRST, and then see if the voodoo displays something... sorry for that, didn't quite follow your first reply ^^

This is written with my voodoo now, though I haven't started up UT yet. This is exactly what I am going to do right away =)) I will post my results concerning performance/quality afterwards.

Thanks a million man!!!
Sincerely,
Ooops

ps47

no problem.what driver have you loaded btw? you will need to replace the glide2x.dll if you are using amigasport (glide2x.dll from SFFT driver for voodoo3 will do).this will fix some potential problems with glide2x apps..

..heh.genius.I dont think so.my university is not going as smooth..smooth is not actually the right word.more like chewing on glass splinters.

Ooops

hrhr "chewing on glass splinters" ... don't tell ME! "Smooth" PAH, i munched them splinters for almost 11 years now... :p (k, i spent 1 year with the army in between =/)
But I can tell you this feeling is great right now =)

I used the SFFT one btw...

One last problem: In windows it works with 100 Hz (@1024x768), as soon as it goes into UT (glide) i get 60Hz. And this problem rings a bell somewhere. My memory is just sooo bad... I know there had been an issue with these 60Hz some time ago. Not sure whether that was with the Voodoo. Ideas? (VControl didn't help there btw...)

Edit: This is what VControl Infopage says:

This utility will help fix Windows 2000,XP 60Hz issues with 3dfx GLIDEā„¢, Direct3D, and OpenGL.

hmmm, am trying to figure out how. Setting a custom resolution with 100 hz was first thing I did when I encountered the 60Hz problem... didn't change anything...

Edit 2: PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I can use RefreshLock that I am using for my Radeon... I tried it in the first place, but at that time I hadn't installed the correct Monitor driver for the voodoo, so 100Hz was out of range at that time...

ps47

just fire up Vcontrol,set the refresh,and you are fixed for good..