V5 5500 fan bearing problem

Started by dr_rumack, 16 February 2012, 20:58:03

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_rumack

Hi guys, I recently bought V5 5500, overall the card works great and i am very happy owning it:D but comparing to my previous V3 3000 it's a bit loud. The fan on the second vsa chip is practicly perfectly silent, but the fan on the first one isn't. For me it's very annoying, but still i would like to keep the original one (because i'm a voodoo freak and want it to be exactly the way it came out of the factory), any ideas how can i refurbish fans bearing?

goriath

If bearing is the problem, it isn't so much you can do about that. Ball bearing device is prone to wear time.

I can try to make a little tutorial that shows how you can access to the bearing mechanism to do some maintenance. You have to completely disassemble the fan, not just the blades.

In the meanwhile you can simply try to lubrificate the rotor blades, could be enough.

dr_rumack

Tried that in the first place:) Lubrification didn't help, I also managed to get the bearing itself out, but there is no access to let some lubrificant inside. Is it normal size bearing? Maybe I can fit similar one from any other ball bearing fan? Come to think of it I hope it is the bearing, what else could it possibly be? It rotates loose... maybe I overlooked something that could make noise?

Glide

I think Voodoo5 fans are "naturally" noisy.

- dr_rumack:

Did you solve the problem?

Bye bye