3dfx Voodoo5 6000 First Watercooling Edition

Started by voodoo5k6, 16 February 2012, 17:19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

voodoo5k6

New project : Voodoo5 6000 rev.3700A WaterCooling edition.

Step by step :

- Waterblocks :

That is the coding that allows the machine to make that logo on front waterblock

Delrin + Copper

Voodoo5 6000 heatsinks removed

Just a quick sketch up of the card and what needs to be cooled.
the green is the pcb, the bright red is the HiNT chip, and the 4 squares are the GPU's.

The whole back of the card will be cooled.  One large block.  a large single piece of thermal tape will be used.

The one large sheet will touch every inch of the board and pull the heat off.

the chips themselves get hot. The back of the chips were probably getting hot from the lack of cooling on the top of them.

This rear block will take off any heat the top block will produce.  It will pull any heat off of every component that it touches.

A CAD model of the card.  Things to cool in black, and things to avoid in red, and the very limited holes in the board.

Basic overall shape :

The blue outline that is the funny shape is the copper
the black outline is the overall card.
The copper is what needs to be touching the chips, so I will avoid all those red areas.
The plastic is thick enough to just mill out depressions for the components.
So the black plastic will cover the entire card
giving you the sleek appearance of a seamless block.
A copper plate that touches the HiNT chip, GPU's and Ram.
Then the black plastic is a much larger piece that covers most of the card.
Each block will be 19mm thick.
V5k6 card is 1.6mm thick, and 19mm of copper and plastic on each side

All of my stuff (WaterCooling kit).
I can't put into words, how powerful just one of those fans are.
I will have to screw this thing to a table.
I firmly believe that the radiator will levitate if all three are on.
I am still speechless from the power of a single fan.
I have all the power imaginable, and it sounds like a jet starting up :)

Delta Fans 120 mm * 38 mm - 252 CFM ai capacity  :

... In Development ...

voodoo5k6

Here is a print to scale (I hope) version of the copper section of the waterblock.

The plastic top part will have the same top and left boundaries.

Cut a prototype out of aluminum

Here is a basic prototype of the copper board that will touch all the chips.

A few minor improvements to a few lines of code and it will be ready to cut.

voodoo5k6

Block progress :

The backside blocks initial outer shape is cut.  Fits like a charm.

voodoo5k6

Block progress... Hard work...

Your reactions?

voodoo5k6

LordJebe

Now that's what I call a damn cool project.
Voodoo Magic: Pentium 120, 80 MB EDO, Sound Blaster Live!, TechWorks 12 MB Voodoo2
Thunderpower: Pentium 4, 512 MB DDR2, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2
Stardust: Pentium 2, 256 MB DDR1,  Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2

voodoo5k6

QuoteOriginally posted by LordJebe

Now that's what I call a damn cool project.

Thanks for your support ;)

I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is the O-ring sealing didnt work.  Thats a simple fix-i will seal it with a silicone gasket sealant along with the O-rings.  So thats really not a big issue.  It will never ever leak.  
The good news is the block is very effective.  when i was doing the leak test i pumped some cold water and the block instantly got very cold. The performance of these blocks are very good!

LordJebe

One thing I noticed is that you designed the block so that the water flows from the first chip to the last, so the first one gets the coolest water and the last one gets the warmest water. But I guess it would had been too complicated to make it so that each chip gets it's own water.

Anyways, good to hear it's working well! I wonder if this is the first time anyone decides to water cool a Voodoo5 :D
Voodoo Magic: Pentium 120, 80 MB EDO, Sound Blaster Live!, TechWorks 12 MB Voodoo2
Thunderpower: Pentium 4, 512 MB DDR2, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2
Stardust: Pentium 2, 256 MB DDR1,  Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2

m14radu

That is no problem !
This is realy an advantage, because only the fist VSA is used most of the time, for windows and 2D. The rest of the VSA"s are used only for 3D and AA.

;)
Follow your dreams !

LordJebe

Right, that does sort it out quite well... And to be honest, I doubt the cooling is going to be a problem with a block like that :D

m14radu

The size of the cooler could cause instalation problems in small cases.
@Michael: You will need generous case for the beast :)
Btw: Did you think to build a special 3dfx tribute case ? This would be another intersting Projekt !
Follow your dreams !

voodoo5k6

QuoteOriginally posted by m14radu

The size of the cooler could cause instalation problems in small cases.
@Michael: You will need generous case for the beast :)
Btw: Did you think to build a special 3dfx tribute case ? This would be another intersting Projekt !

Not for now...but yes interesting project ;)

The blocks are just about finished as far as basic construction.

I came up with an idea to make a seperate plate for it with the logo. I attached a pic of the 0.25" plate.  The logo will go on that plate to give it some personality.

Beginning 3dfx logo :

voodoo5k6

voodoo5k6

Cutting the plate :

I wanted to have copper in the logo correct.
Sheet copper for the logo arrived (0.032" sheet copper).
...Working on logo now :-)...

Still a little more work to do, but its getting there :

voodoo5k6

The end of the "X" is 0.7mm thick.  That was no easy task
Here are the results :)

Any reactions?