5500 PCI playback ability?

Started by pandy, 12 April 2011, 15:37:58

Previous topic - Next topic

pandy

Hi all.

Many years ago (1999 or 2000) I built a PC as a workstation/gamer.

It was an IBM Intellistation running a MS440GX (marlinspike), a couple of P3 550 Xeons and some SDRAM and SCSI.

It did have an AGP port, but I managed to bag a 5500 PCI for £50 on clearout (PC World). I remember it was a bit of a sod to set up the card in Win2000 but I did get it there and it worked admirably with titles like Midtown Madness. """" 2 and so on. Just as I finished the system I moved to the USA and I sold it to a friend of mine.

Jokingly I asked him on Facebook yesterday what happened to it and if I could have it, he said he still has it sitting in a cupboard and I am welcome to it rofl.

Thinking fast of what I have in storage I realised I had a Asus board with a Celeron D in as well as an old Alienware chassis (the original chieftec one) and a Terratec sound card (PCI).

I would like to customise the case using 3DFX logos and so forth and install XP onto it and the Alienware windowblinds. However, a few things concern me..

I have XP media center. Would the 5500 PCI be able to run my TV tuner well? and what about DIVX? I don't use or have Blu Ray so that's not a problem. I do know that the card would play back DVD quite comfortably, as my V3 3000 did so with ease.

pandy