Quiet noisy Voodoo5 fans?

Started by darkfalz, 21 February 2005, 22:18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

darkfalz

Has anyone had experience with quieting their Voodoo5 fans? Mine are a bit rattly which is distracting in the first place but since the fans don't go off in standby mode, it really kills the idea of a silent standby PC.

I cleaned all the dust off them with compressed air but they're still rattling. I've been thinking of squirting a bit of WD40 at the axle (or whatever you call it) but not sure if that's such a good idea.

Any ideas?
OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood)
Motherboard ASUS P4P800 Deluxe RAM 1 GB Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 Dual Channel
Video NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP 256 MB Audio SoundMAX Digital Audio

OS Microsoft Windows ME CPU Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz (Coppermine)
Motherboard ASUS P3V4X RAM 256 MB Kingston PC133 2-2-2-6
Video 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64 MB Audio Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Targaff

Not sure about fans, but if you're after silent, then perhaps this thread over at Falconfly is of interest?

http://www.falconfly-central.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=techtalk;action=display;num=1102203361

darkfalz

Is that the guy who put two huge heatsinks on his V5? I've seen that :P

Anyway, I took it out and noticed there was a lot more dust clumped under the fans in the heatsink than I thought, I got a fresh can of compressed air and blew it all out really well, but the fans are if anything even more rattly now, probably because the airflow is better and they are spinning faster.
OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood)

NitroX infinity

It's unavoidable, the fans will start making noise eventually.
That's why I put Zalman ZMNB32-J heatsink on my V5.
(phalanx = NitroX infinity :))

You could just get new 40mm fans, they aren't too expensive and probably a lot better than the V5's fans.

darkfalz

Well the little heatsink fans are stuck on, I don't want to ruin anything removing them.

bloodworm

the little fans I do believe are screwed onto the heatsinks with tiny screws right?  the original fans are subpar plastic "sleave" types.  the best fans have actual bearings in them.  I would replace the fans.....
Bloody Mess

darkfalz

Okay, I see your point now. I could certainly replace the fans without replacing the whole unit... now I just have to find some suitable ones.