3DFX Voodoo5 5500 works on PCI-Express !!

Started by jix-reggio, 29 January 2011, 19:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Glide

Hi!

This thread is very, very nice: we're talking about Voodoo5 cards working on PCI-Express bus and Windows 7 ;)

Tnx to all.

Bye bye

mate175

I dunno why but I can't install SFFT 1.6 here. Vcontrol and 3dfx Tools don't open after the installation.Help?

Rolo01

How did you install the SFFT driver ?

voodoo5k6

Voodoo5 5500 on pci-express (with pcitopcie adaptor ) :

3dmark2001se : 3708 points

Voodoo5 5500 on pci-x :

Voodoo 5 5500 MAC on PCI-X,

3dmark2001se : 4697 points ( o/c 189 Mhz )

Voodoo 5 on pci-x is more faster than Voodoo 5 on pci-express.
4697 vs 3620 marks.

The best solution is to have a pcix on motherboard like Supermicro or Asus.

jix-reggio

You are right with very nice hardware.
But for budget machines, I think Pci-express is more affordable.
Look at this bench, you would see that my V5 5500 PLX with a 'monosaur' Cpu can approach, in some cases, your performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWyjOWfN8_o

Maybe skilled owners could say whose V5 5500 pci could run @66mhz ?

voodoo5k6

with pcietopci, v5 run at 33 mhz and in o/c at 40 mhz max.
with pcix, v5 run at 66 mhz.

mate175

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolo01

I installed by setup.exe :D

Rolo01

QuoteOriginally posted by mate175

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolo01

I installed by setup.exe :D

Okay, here we go :
Do NOT use setup.exe !
Install by Device Manager.
Open the video card in device manager by right click, choose "properties", then "update driver".
Do NOT let Windows install automatically, choose "manual install".
Then point to the directory where you have the SFFT driver.

m14radu

Very nice score :)
Would a v56k hit the 6000 wall? Can u try it?  Of course with 2 adapters :) an agp2pci and an pci2pci express one
Follow your dreams !

SuperFurryFurryThing

using setup.exe for the sfft driver only installs the driver into the driver database. You still have to use device manager to install the sfft driver as the active driver for your voodoo card. Windows will install a signed driver in preference by default, you need to override this behaviour by manually selecting the sfft driver. setup.exe installs the driver with an un-install option so you can un-install the driver via the remove software option in control panel.

mate175

jix-reggio

I would now thank the Team for showing my work in the may 14th news. I would not look like a pretentious with my benchmark, that was for joking and dreaming a little.  
I wanted to share with you information as accurate and detailed as possible. I hope my small contributions will help the community. Thanks to  Zeratul and Narm (from french website hardware.fr) who made me know 3dfxzone.it
I've just tried a PCI-Express bridge and experienced some Bios parameters.
Voodoo5k6 is right, this is not the most powerful choice (even if V5500 PLX scores 3772 in last bench ;)  ) , but it is a good budget choice and open doors on 'up-to-date' configurations.
It would be interesting to make a new thread about the '66 mhz way'.
3dfx graphics cards will still continue with very (very) good drivers and tweaks that have been made #8203;#8203;by your community. Hope we will do things together.

mate175

Rolo 01, do u know why my system freezes when I use 32 bits of color on windows xp? (it freezes when I play quake 3 with 32 bits too.)

Rolo01

QuoteOriginally posted by mate175

Rolo 01, do u know why my system freezes when I use 32 bits of color on windows xp? (it freezes when I play quake 3 with 32 bits too.)

Does it freeze as well in single chip mode ?

mate175

I have a Voodoo 4 PCI here. It freezes when I use 32 bits for my desktop and all games with quake 3 engine.;)