Glide Drivers for voodoo2 SLI mismatched!

Started by avengerx, 07 January 2005, 21:14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

avengerx

I can't figure out why NEVER that opengl32.dll driver work for me with any games... not even wickedGL do...

I am re-posting this, in a more clear area (posted it were it wouldnt be very fair) and now opened a topic. Here's the issue:

I am using two voodoo2's mismatched in SLI, win98se, fastvoodoo 4.6, w/ a k6/2 550, 64MbRAM; and it works fine for D3D games (mech warrior 3, gta2, soul reaver 1, etc). The only game it worked (with some trouble) using drivers different from D3D, was Quake2, that I realised that only one of the v2 cards does the video output for the game (the other keeps black screen) -- figure out why...

Then, in any game I try to use the MesaFX or OpenGL drivers, I have always no success... Using WickedGL in quake2, I can achieve even a lockup on my system; GTA2 did not work with either. And mesaFX's drivers don't make games go (I followed carefully the installation steps, of copying fxmemmap and glide3x to windows/system dir (win98se) and opengl32.dll from MesaFX root dir to the game's root dir... The GL driver is simply somewhat unable to start... it treats like if I have no 3d card in my system. But why, then, d3d games work as well (and gives good fps)?..

Also, I was trying to run Soul Reaver 2 with my voodoo2, anyone has a successfull try w/ a voodoo2?.. When I get to setup SR2, when I choose fastvoodoo2 adapter, no screen resolution appears, then even if I change it into the registry, it's reset to zero, and when I enter the game, the mouse cursor disappears (while I can see the desktop), the game's sound play fine (like the game was a goot fps rate), and I can even close the game, showing back the mouse cursor and returning control over the desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Manuelson

I think that mesafx are not developed to work with mismatched..
maybe also wicked glide are affected by the same problem..i can only tell you to use a single card..or to find two identical voodoo2.. ;-)
Powered by ALL Voodoo..

avengerx

uh... it pains to know that... Is there chances of being developed, as done for D3D, such opengl drivers?.. There's not so much sense on using a voodoo2 not for glide although there are quite a number of games which works very well w/ it... But even some games that support d3d, if they also support gl, the preference for 3dfx cards is to use glide. :[

would that be a chance of future gl drivers for mm v2? :/

Anyway, now I know what to search in order to put things to work. Thanks!

avengerx

After some hours of googling, I finally found the fate towards my sought. Thanks also to Manuelson, without his idea i'll never look for this fix!

http://home.earthlink.net/~aosnovich

Thanks to Andrei Osnovich for making opengl drivers for v2 sli MM, and even with 3dnow! instructions (dunno it would work on intel archs due to this).
Here's a short howto to make everything work (w9x series):

. Install FastVoodoo 4.6 (which comes w/ d3d sliMM support), as normal, to both cards (remember sweeping out last installation before this, if tis the case).
. Get http://home.earthlink.net/~aosnovich/mismatch.zip from this site above.
. Decompress it to a folder and copy only glide2x.dll, glide3x.dll to windows/system directory.
. It will allow you to use your windows/system/3dfxvgl.dll as your opengl32.dll file on the games (copy it into game's dir and rename to opengl32.dll).

You'd better not copy all files from the zip file into windows/system directory, there's a 3dfx32v2.dll that's the D3D portion of the SLI MM for the v2, and this is already fine and well worked (and up to date) by the fv2 4.6 team!..
 These glide drivers are based on 2.54 version, and fv2 4.6 comes with 2.56. Although newer, they are not patched for support v2 SLI MM, then we should only expect for updated glide drivers adhept of SLI MM support.

I hope this helps everyone who may enter in the same dillema like me, and I also hope this kind of glide drivers could be shipped with a future fasvoodoo2 package! :)

This attach is just for security purposes, it's the http://home.earthlink.net/~aosnovich/mismatch.zip file. Who knows if that page could be off tomorrow or so?

Download Attachment: mismatched-glide2x3x.zip
474.5 KB

Manuelson

you have solved your problem with this trick?

If it is so, it's a good news..!

I knew this site, and all the Osnovich work was very useful to release the mm series, I tried to modify also the win 2000/xp dll, but there were too different..it didn't work anything, and after 2 months I had to give up, I'm not so skilled (by now.. ;-) )