Old Games + DosBox + Hardware V5

Started by Risky50, 03 October 2010, 04:33:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Risky50

Hi all, (miss me? its been a while, but I've been watching this forum)

I just recently installed Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (waiting for 10 Oct 2010 for 10.10), along side with Voodoo5 5500 PCI.

I got Windows XP, 7 and Linux Ubuntu. (all are 32 bit)

I am downloading Dosbox for windows&linux and to test them on really old games, say MechWarrior 1 SE or Tomb Raider 1.

Tip: Linux Ubuntu: Thank god for Synaptic Package Manager, I can install the driver. This is my first time using linux with Voodoo5 PCI, bear with me! So I installed libglide3, libglide2 device3dfx-source and glide2-bin (I'm guessing it, I'm not sure what those does!).
Tested with glxgears, it looks like its working.. ^^

For Windows, as per normal, using SSFT for Win7 and Ami for WinXP!

So while waiting for Dosbox download and ubuntu updates, I been doing a lot research regarding glide wrapper works with DosBox..

My question is are:-
1. I do not require GlideWrapper(nGlide) since I already have a Voodoo 5 PCI hardware accelerated, correct?

A. If yes, Does DOSBOX(Linux or Windows) allow Tomb Raider 1 or MechWarrior 1 (with 3dfx patch of course), allow direct communication to the Voodoo5 card itself?

B. If no, Does it means, that I need to install MS-DOS 6 so that DOS games can talk directly to Voodoo5?

The reason me asking this, coz I have some old dos games, that I would like to play with my 3dfx voodoo5 card. DosBox, to my understanding, is a DOS emulation under windows, so just curious if the games in DosBox enviroment, could detect my V5 5500 card, which is outside of DoSBox?

Any tip or instruction on how to get it working?

-----3dfx Die Hard Fan-----
- Owned V1, V Banshee, V2(SLI)X2, V3 (AGP, TV & PCI), V4 PCI, Voodoo5 (AGP&PCI&PCI MAC) = 11 Cards!

1. Current Setup:-

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI
More Info:-
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=93707&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#9001;=en&cc=us

2. (Waiting for budget) Setting up Pentium Dual Core with Voodoo5 PCI! =)

Risky50

- Owned V1, V Banshee, V2(SLI)X2, V3 (AGP, TV & PCI), V4 PCI, Voodoo5 (AGP&PCI&PCI MAC) = 11 Cards!

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=93707&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#9001;=en&cc=us

ps47

I would say yes,dosbox should be able to direct the glide calls at the card directly,just drop the glide files into the dosbox folder to replace the nglide dlls.

Risky50

Thanks.... Finally u replied... are u the only moderator who are alive here? @@

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI