LegendgrafiX VooDooMage 2 WindowsXP D3D GL OGL

Started by Geri, 26 November 2004, 22:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Xpresser

Well I need it to play Final Fantasy VIII it doesn't work on Hardware acceleration in D3D on newer GeForces and I know if I can get it to run with my Voodoo it will work perfectly. On my GF7600 I get blackboxes in the game and in the config menu it says "8-bit Paletted Textures Failed". I wish I had an older PCI graphic card to use but i've manage to burn 2 of them =s. The voodoo2 may be old but it has never disappointed me I really hope Geri can solve this.

SEG_Striker

Well, tricky one. Your motherboard and videocard doesn't support Windows 9x... It's damn bad that Nvidia made such a decision.

I have Voodoo Banshee PCI - it work reasonable good with WinXP. Perhaps you need to obtain some PCI card like this one (or even non 3dfx). Or even better - you can assemble some old computer, or buy one - it's really cheap. I have about 5-6 old computers - from 286 to P3 600 MHz (also 486, Celeron's, some Cyrix and AMD 586).

If you can't do it, just search in the internet - you can find old computers at good price.

Another solution is to dual boot with some Linux and use Cedega emulator - it works with almost any Windows game and with almost any video card. BTW, I just wonder why newer Geforce's won't work with old games - I haven't seen such a problem.

Geri

Xpresser: try with old Forceware driver.
What is the oldest driver that support your video card?
download a few oldest drivers, like 8x.xx and 7x.xx series, and find a old one.
Long time i dont use nvidia cards with new drivers, but i think the series 7x.xx drivers are out with the old style forceware build-up.
May if u try with these old drivers, then the nVidia driver will be secusfully installable, avoiding to hang with the Lgfx package.

Xpresser

It didn't work. I downgraded to forceware 84.43 and this is what happens!

Image Insert:

57.13 KB
Before restart

Image Insert:

87.83 KB

After restart the message from the first picture appears here too

I tried to moddifie the forceware 77.77 to install it on my card but it wasn't usable so the forceware 84.43 were to lowest version I could use.

The voodoo is usable but my geforce isn't I don't know what it could be =s

Geri

It is media center edition?
I dont know about its compatibility.
U tryed with simple winxp?

Xpresser

Yeah I got the exact same thing in ordinary Windows XP SP2 several times. I also know it can't be a hardware problem because my voodoo2 worked fine in Win98se with the ordinary drivers. I don't use 98 anymore so I really need it to work in d3d in WinXP.
Plz Geri fix fix fix =). I'm a little suprised that no one else here has the same problem. I wonder do many people use your driver? maybe they don't know about them? You really have the best 3dfx drivers..I'm still thinking about buying another voodoo2 to use them in SLI because it's the best thing for older games. I only wish that you can make it work..
I wonder how the drivers will work in Win Vista...

P.S

I've tried to insert an ATI Radeon Sapphire 7000 64MB DDR PCI card a couple of days ago and it works. Had no problems installing it and using both the Geforce 7600GT and the Radeon 7000 together. The FFVIII runs much slower with the Radeon 7000 than voodoo2. Don't ask me how but the voodoo2 is much faster. My conclusion is that one of the d3d files in your voodoo drivers must be in conflict with with the detonator drivers. It's probably to old. Maybe the direct3d8.win or the vd2d3d.dll I'm not really sure...........

Geri

hmm...

Now i remember.
Newer detonator drivers are using d3d8.dll a lot too to display the windows desktop. (i think from series 55).
If you can start the lgfx control panel, try to disable directx8 emulation. That may fix some errors.

Xpresser

No it did not work!!
The lgfx drivers are disableing direct3d for the geforce7600gt (d3d still works for the voodoo2) and that results in 4bit desktop mode..One of the legendgrafix files must be outdated  probably one of the d3d files. It's strange because directly after the installation of the voodoo2 drivers (before restart) everything works fine! After the restart the d3d is disabled for the Geforce. I saw it in the DXDIAG and there is no way to enable it. What can it be Geri??

Xpresser

By the way SEG_Striker thanx for ur tipp but building an older computer is just to much work and one more computer takes up more space. The Cedega emulator ur talking about doesn't it emulate the graphics too? I tried Microsoft Virtual PC with windows98 and it doesn't use Graphic card drivers, instead it emulates them so I can't really play anything with it. By the way the Voodoo Banshee does it support direct3d under windows XP? It is one of the best cards for old games maybe I'll buy one.

SEG_Striker

Yes, Voodoo Banshee support D3D under Windows 2000/XP - recommended drivers are Banshee Evolution (the best), Voodoolizer for Banshee and some other. If you can find PCI version, you can use it virtually on any (future) PC.
About Cedega (you can try also wine - part of Linux, Crossover Office) - it is running under Linux. It does emulate D3D, but not Glide, with Cedega you can run games (DOS, Windows games), which requests hardware DX9 support on Voodoo Banshee,3/4/5, perhaps on V2 also, but not so fast. Of course, you must install linux drivers, which are installed automaticaly, except those for Nvidia or ATI card. Therefore, some Linux distribution (FreeSpire, Xandros) includes Nvidia and ATI drivers. About Glide support - you can still use Evoodoo or another Glide emulator, even with Cedega.

P.S. I forgot to mention, that you can buy KVM switch, with it you can control more than one PC with 1 keyboard, mouse, monitor - switching around PC's. So, your second computer will not take so much place :)

Xpresser

Okey I tried to find an old voodoo card for sale but it's nearly impossible. A year ago there were still people selling them and I bought a Voodoo4 agp but now..
Thanx for the little guide, I didn't know Linux went so deep and had so many possibilities. Never used it tho but always thinking about trying it out, just to see how it works. Maybe I will do it but only when I have the time. It takes some time to learn a whole different operating system and I bet it's nothing like Windows. Maybe the best thing for me is to buy a Micro-ATX. I've been looking at this.
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=319843
But I don't know what mobo will fitt there. Ít would be pretty good to have it connected next to the tv for older gaming/emulation purpose =P.

P.S When I decide to try linux out, you will be the first one I ask for help ;)

SEG_Striker

Sounds too expensive... Where are you from? I can sell you one Voodoo Banshee PCI :)

Xpresser

I live in Sweden. Does it by any chance have tv-out?

SEG_Striker

I am from Bulgaria. Aren't you coming here for a summer vacancy? :)

Sorry, but my Voodoo Banshee is without TV-Out.

Xpresser

No sorry =( maybe someday. Always wanted to go to Sunny beach. Maybe next year =P..It seems as if Geri can't fix this problem. I guess i'll have to put the Voodoo2 card on layaway until someday.