Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 in same system

Started by H-street, 26 February 2010, 17:48:45

Previous topic - Next topic

H-street

Is it possible to have both the Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 in the same system?

i have a voodoo2 sli setup but was wondering if i could also throw in my voodoo1 and run both the v2 and v1 at the same time.

is it possible to choose which one to use for glide games etc??

i'm not sure if th is ever came up in the past because who in their right mind would want to run a v1 along side a v2.

this is under win98se and on an AMD K8T800 setup

ms-dos

yup but you will have to chang the glide openog  dll's when you won't to use the other card

sliderider

QuoteOriginally posted by H-street

Is it possible to have both the Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 in the same system?

i have a voodoo2 sli setup but was wondering if i could also throw in my voodoo1 and run both the v2 and v1 at the same time.

is it possible to choose which one to use for glide games etc??

i'm not sure if th is ever came up in the past because who in their right mind would want to run a v1 along side a v2.

this is under win98se and on an AMD K8T800 setup

There's not much point. There's not much that works with a Voodoo Graphics that won't work with a Voodoo 2 so if you have a machine that's fast enough that a Voodoo Graphics becomes a bottleneck, then use a Voodoo 2. If your machine is too slow to really put a V2 to good use, then use a Voodoo Graphics. If your machine is so fast that it even bottlenecks a single V2 then SLi it or get a V3. I strongly suspect that a K8T800 with an Athlon 64 is going to max out both V2 SLi and V3 cards.

neurocrash

I'm giving this a try.  So far I have the Voodoo1 and two Voodoo2 cards installed, and successfully tested a game on the Voodoo1.  Later I'll see about running something on the Voodoo2.

The reason I am doing this is that I have a handful of Voodoo1 only games that I haven't played or want to revisit, but since I'm having trouble with one game on the Voodoo1, I thought I might see how it does on the Voodoo2.  In any case, the extra resolution of the Voodoo2 is appreciated, but I don't want to get in the situation of swapping cards when I change games, or needing too many systems.

It should be that if I take the glide ovl files out to the Windows folder and put them in each game folder, they will run with the card that I am intending, right?

Thanks

neurocrash

It works.  The only fiddly part is that sometimes one card refuses to pass the video through to the next, so I have to swap cables to see the display.  I don't know if an SST variable may allow control over one card or the other while launching, or if I will use a KVM switch to get around this.  Still, I have been able to run both Voodoo1 only games like Whiplash and Xcar, as well as Voodoo2 games on the same machine, so this is a success so far.

pierrickuk

Hi,

From memory, so worth double checking:
You could use 2 screens (or a kvm, with manual switch might be better) to check what goes on when running in glide. You might have to set some variables (google glide variables).
On my side, I have a p3 1400 with an ati rage (pro or xl) pci 8 meg coupled with an voodoo2 sli and a voodoo5 5500 agp, as a dual screen setup on win98se.
I have installed a few games under windows, and depending on the one I want to play, or depending on the card I want to use, I copy the glide files in the exec folder.
My favorite games to test are "Supreme snowboarding" and "Dethcarz".
I am looking for a voodoo 1 at a normal price but no luck so far.
I could then try a  3 screen setup.
I have never tried feeding one voodoo into the next. Maybe I should, I also have a v3 pci I could try with.

I think there also exists a glide selector...

Are you playing any dos games in (real) dos mode with your V2-sli? Any recommendation? Any success story? Am particularly interested in hearing Screamer 2 and Screamer rally. On my side, some mild success, but only with one v2.