Started by secretfj, 24 July 2004, 18:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

secretfj

My system is:
Duron 1600MHz
AsRock K7VT2
512MB DDR 266
Radeon R7000 PCI

The computer is Running Windows XP and it's main use is to go online (web browsing) and NEVER play 3D games.(only play emulated arcade games using FASTAME)..the another main use is to watch DVD/AVI(encoded using DIVX and XVID)/MPEG/ and Realvideo animations..

It's quite foolish to have a PCI display card installed while you can install a AGP card. Now i found two 2nd hand offers : Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 3 (both 16MB), they only have HKD$10 difference in price (about 1USD), so i wanna ask if banshee and voodoo 3 be able to play those video files smoothly with those display cards (my out-of-order old Oxygen VX1 AGP will make the playback somewhat laggy and this get more serious when i installed my old S3 Trio 64V2)

Thanks for solving my doubts, really thanks~~
No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

NitroX infinity

Voodoo 3 is younger than the Banshee, it supports newer technologies.

Voodoo 3 will do just fine.

secretfj

Thanks, so i will bid that voodoo3~~
wish me good luck

let the VooDoo Roars!!

Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

amp_man

but the question really becomes, why do you need an agp card? seems like for your described use the PCI R7k would do just fine.
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

secretfj

Hi amp_man,
yes, that R7k is doing everything fine, but i noticed that when i use PCI card, the system performance is a bit slower (i think because extra PCI bandwidth is used by the display card) and this is quite noticable when ripping videos (AVI->RM, DVD->AVI, etc..). the card  have some unknown problem too. the screen will become full of tiny red-lines and everything will be distorted once it happened, but it seldom happens...
these make me wanna change my display card from a PCI one to an AGP one

let the VooDoo Roars!!

Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

ArchAngelCD

I love Voodoo cards but if you never play games, why would you want to get a Voodoo3 card? Since you're running WinXP you might be better off buying a more current ATI or nVidia card for easier driver compatibility.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

secretfj

i want a voodoo one bacause the 2D quality of a voodoo card is better than nVidia cards (can be seen when compared my uncle's v3 and GF2MX)
maybe i should think carefully what i should get, thanks all~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

bloodworm

Yes, every 3dfx made voodoo card that I have ever owned has had superior 2D clarity than any other card I have ever used (same monitor, same system).  a voodoo 3 PCI makes an excelent 2nd video card for XP or 98se as well since there are now drivers to support it!
Bloody Mess

ArchAngelCD

If you're looking for good 2D then a Voodoo card is a good choice but so is a Matrox card. Matrox always had great 2D. I used a Matrox Millennium with my first Voodoo2 card.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

NitroX infinity

Yes, Matrox' Millennium cards also have superior 2D but they are expensive. The last Millennium, the G550, costs around 100 euro's. You can get a more recent and powerfull card for that kind of money from ATi which also has very good 2D.

When only looking for 2D, the V3 is simply the best valued card.