Progress on TDFX driver...

Started by vykupitel, 01 July 2004, 13:23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

amp_man

Any clues on how long before you can have a peak at SLI, and perhaps get it working? Kinda up in the air right now if the old V5 or the GF2 is going in my spare box, linux sli support would tip me towards the V5 (even tho I know it wouldn't have all the features and crap the GF2 would).
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

dborca

have a peak? maybe today...
but make SLI working? hard to tell...
i wish i could get it done as quick as possible.
Regards,
Daniel Borca

vykupitel

QuoteOriginally posted by dborca

it just might be your lucky day/week/month. i'm almost finished transition from the windoze to the good ol' slack! :D so expect news in the linux area... ehm... more or less - as time permits.

What to say to this news??? ....

VIVAT VIVAT VIVAT Daniel!!! ;)
AthlonXP 1.86GHz@2.2GHz (barton), 1024MB PC400 RAM,MSI KT6-Delta LSR,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1 + Voodoo4 4200 AGP(Daytona) and many more...

mateuscg

Great news Daniel! Also, could you take a look at this mail list archive, please?

http://www.mail-archive.com/xmame%40toybox.twisted.org.uk/

It's a list about an emulator that has support for compile against Glide2 or Glide3 (other build options exist). The program tries to use Glide directly and, according with the docs, can be compiled to run from X (executable gets xfx sufix) or from console (executable gets svgafx sufix). There are two recent threads about Glide. One thread with pleople talking about a missing grBufferSwap function in Glide3 for Voodoo3/4/5. Too bad they are submitting patches to Red Hat and Debian mantainers and not to Glide mantainers :-(. Other thread talks about the "grSstSelect: non-existent SSTF" error when trying to run the emulator with Glide3 under X, since Glide already is used for DRI support. Can an application uses Glide3 directly under Linux? Must Glide be compiled without DRI support in this case?

dborca

voodoo3/4/5 (2D+3D core) must use DRI. they have no need of grBufferSwap, because they use grDRIBufferSwap. using glide directly might be problematic.

however, Guillem - the Debian maintainer - just fixed grBufferSwap yesterday. he's in our team. i am not interested in redhattish linux flavors. [:p]
Regards,
Daniel Borca

recoton

daniel i have tried to install the linix driver on falconflys site
which i thought was the same driver on 3dfxzone.it.im running 4.5
linspire and it is a debian build .when i overwrite the dri and the
drm and the glide files at reboot it wont boot into linspire anymore .
Its possible that the rpm file gets corrupted in some way using alien.
Is the falconfly driver and the 3dfxzone driver the same ro are they
different builds?I bought wine x hoping that my voodoo 5 could be
utilized.the site has a voodoo 3 driver but does not have a voodoo 5 driver.any help to get this to work would be appreciated.i am a newbie
to linux but im interested in learning as much as i can.so its
possible that i doing something backwards in my installation.

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by recoton

daniel i have tried to install the linix driver on falconflys site
which i thought was the same driver on 3dfxzone.it.
I haven't been on falconfly site for quite a while now. dunno what version his archive carries...

Quoteim running 4.5
linspire and it is a debian build .
i'm running slak, so i might not be of much help. i don'tr even know what linspire is. you could try to contact Guillem Jover - just google for him. he's quite a nice guy and has some background contributing to the 3dfx community.

Quotewhen i overwrite the dri and the
drm and the glide files at reboot it wont boot into linspire anymore .
Its possible that the rpm file gets corrupted in some way using alien.
oh boy, anything but rpms. is this a breed of redhat? i suppose you don't have a console boot mode? that is the only solution that springs to mind.

QuoteIs the falconfly driver and the 3dfxzone driver the same ro are they
different builds?I bought wine x hoping that my voodoo 5 could be
utilized.the site has a voodoo 3 driver but does not have a voodoo 5 driver.any help to get this to work would be appreciated.i am a newbie
to linux but im interested in learning as much as i can.so its
possible that i doing something backwards in my installation.
okay, anyone with some linspire/debian/rpms/winex experience could help recoton? heloo?!?
Regards,
Daniel Borca

vykupitel

Hello recoton,
I use Mandrake linux 10. I also have WineX(Cedega). If you want to utilize your voodoo you must just use DRI drivers from your distro and you MUST have libglide3.so (or similiar) library that has DRI support. I think that you can find it on glide.sf.net. DON'T overwrite anything, DRM depend on kernel! If you will change DRM you must compile it from DRI CVS. Daniel did some progress on TDFX driver so you can try his updates from MESA CVS. Much better performance in RTCW:ET [8D]

mateuscg

Linux Doom 3 Client/Server Binaries and Demo Released:

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/

-------------------------------------------------------
Minimum Specs:

GNU/Linux system,
Pentium III, 1Ghz
256Mb RAM
Kernel 2.4, 2.6 is recommended
glibc 2.2 and up

3D card:
 NV10 or R200 minimum hardware
 OpenGL hardware acceleration
 64 MB VRAM

sound card + OSS ( with mmap support )

Would be hard to implement MesaFX hacks into Linux to get Doom3 running with Voodoo 5?

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by mateuscg

Linux Doom 3 Client/Server Binaries and Demo Released:

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/
YAY! Doom3, feel my wrath! [}:)]

Minimum Specs:

GNU/Linux system,
Pentium III, 1Ghz
256Mb RAM
Kernel 2.4, 2.6 is recommended
glibc 2.2 and up

3D card:
 NV10 or R200 minimum hardware
 OpenGL hardware acceleration
 64 MB VRAM

sound card + OSS ( with mmap support )
yea-yea-yea...

QuoteWould be hard to implement MesaFX hacks into Linux to get Doom3 running with Voodoo 5?
are you kidding? but there _IS_ a problem... without SLI in Linux, it could get a bit slower...

PS: fork it! the ftp server is dying with 421 (too many users).

PPS: got the linux version. ;)
PPPS: got the win32 update. ;)
Regards,
Daniel Borca

amp_man

lol, Daniel, Linspire is the new name for Lindows;)

I dunno if MS filed a lawsuit and forced them to change the name, or just asked 'em to, but they did.
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

recoton

I did finally get the voodoo 4 driver to work on my voodoo 5 .when i used the 3dfx source code on the linspire site it made a special
debian file and after install the file it actually worked .i dont know if it mingeled with the other file thet i tried to install before or if it really came form the linspire 3dfx source.i couldnt find anybody on the site that had a voodoo 4 o5 5 installed.it seems to be fast and stable though.I still hoping for sli.Also microsoft tried to sue lindows for the name but in turn was counter sued by
lindows and probaly get a big pay off to chage there name to linspire,
which sounds better anyway.pretty solid linux build .

Shogakusha

Just thought I'd mention the facts on the whole lindows/windows thing.  Microsoft sued for trademark violation.  Lindows sued stating, truthfully, that it was illegal to trademark a generic english word. Microsoft realized that they didn't want everyone and their brother to start stomping all over their trademark(after it was rightly declared void) and made a few quiet proposals to the Lindows people.  They both dropped their cases, Lindows changed their name voluntarily, Microsoft "bought" the Lindows domains, and a few other lindows related domains for big money.  Lindows gets a better name and the company gets a large cash injection, Microsoft doesn't have to try and defend their illegal trademark in court.
Comp 1:
-     Windows XP Pro
-     Athlon 2500XP
-     MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard
-     512 meg of 333mhz ram
-     Radeon 9700 Pro
Comp 2:
-     Windows 98 SE
-     Pentium 2 - 333
-     64 meg of pc100 ram
-     Cirrus Logic Laguna 5465 vid card
-     Monster 3d card
Comp3:
-     Windows 98SE
-     Duron 800Mhz
-     192Meg of pc100
-     Voodoo 3 2000

dborca

@amp
oh, yes... :) i remember now...

@Shogakusha
damn, that's a good lesson! [:0] impressive! [^]
Regards,
Daniel Borca

vykupitel

Hello Daniel, was the sources of SLI tree from Dieter usefull for you?