Looking for older Dell computer to run V5 card

Started by arkenstone, 22 April 2009, 00:06:04

Previous topic - Next topic

arkenstone

Hi everyone:
Can anyone tell me how far back, or what model of Dell computer will have an AGP 3.3V so I can install a V5?  I am not looking for anything too new, just something that will run all retro games that use GLIDE, with at least 1.4Ghz processor.  Those older games look so much better on a V5.  I would dedicate this machine for these games only.   My Vista Dell won't run these games and I did not want to spend the time to figure out how to do it if its at all possible.  Its easier to just have a machine dedicated to running these games with an older Windows operating system.

THANKS!

Tualatin

Just get a Pentium 3 era motherboard w/ 1.4 Ghz Tualatin and you'll be set. You could also stick in a dusty AWE32/64 for DOS/9x applications.

QuoteOriginally posted by arkenstone

Those older games look so much better on a V5.  I would dedicate this machine for these games only.
V5 is definitely the way to go, NFS2 SE / Red Baron runs great with 4x Anti Aliasing.

I have a few boxes aimed just for these purposes. Didn't see your post until now.

arkenstone

Thanks so much for the info Tualatin!!   I guess thats what I will do, look for a PIII machine.

Tualatin

hehe no problem.

Make sure it's an Intel based board not VIA. [Intel 820 preferably, 815 are okay too] You also want AWARD bios in it, most Intel based boards are AWARD though. With it you can boot off SATA drives [with an appropriate PCI SATA controller]. As a good alternative you could use an IDE 2.5" 7200 RPM Modile HDD [with a converter] cool and quiet [even though they are only U100, its quick enough]

For some banana points a dual p3 mobo would work too, although they are hard to source these days and few have AGP slots. With appropriate hard mods you could run Dual Tualatins as well.

However if AGP Slot is not a must [and you could do well without it i.e. V3/5 PCI] I'd get a mobile motherboard with legacy ISA slot or without, albeit those are limited numbers and hence a little pricey.

It really depends on what you wanna do with it, your budget and how much time you've got on your hands.

PM me if you need further help.