SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

FBS

I am having a problem with the SFFT19 drivers. My system was crashing and reboot would occur. Then I set my setting not to reboot after crash so that I can seen what the "Blue screen" says.
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE
Address BB7AD355 base at BB75C000
3dfxvs.dll

I shorten the exact phrase,

This occurred
1.   once when doing a PC scan single chip
2.   second time using Flight sim in single chip
3.   The PC crashes all the time with Flight sim when the settings are set to 2AA and fast performance. What happens is that I load the sim, and then load my multiplayer software. The moment I go to full screen the PC crashes. If I don't load the multiplayer software I can go to full screen, but as soon as I open the kneeboard the PC crashes.

aperson

QuoteOriginally posted by Dautonico

You mean that the game really wont work on my V3???? so sad.... well nedd porshe is better and  runs perfect ehhehe... With the new sfft 19 do you think its possible to play Rise of Nations????? i know the game has a lock against v3, but i broke that and the game started and all, but when you would star really playing, it would crash back to the desktop...any tips?
Thanks
I've been playing Rise of Nations since sometime around Sfft 11 or 12, and continued to play it up to this latest release.  You just have to set the mode to single chip in 3dfx tools, ignore the Microsoft warning about incompatibility, and you're set.

algeeba

To SFFT,

Been playing some Vietcong and Fist Alpha Expansion and have found the following:

Using SFFT Alpha 19, DX8 Mode, Set3Tile, Fast Performance & Auto Mip-Map enabled - blue screen of death when loading bar appears.          Get "Page Fault In Non Paged Area" error and mentions 3dfxvs.dll.

with Auto Mip-Map disabled - same as above

DX7 Mode, Set3Tile, Fast Performance & Auto Mip-Map enable  - same as above

with Auto Mip-Map disabled - able to play the game

Using Win98 SE and latest Evolution Drivers I am able to play the game with or without Auto Mip-Map enabled.

Unfortunately, what happens in both Win98 and W2K is that the game will "freeze" under certain situations and I have to do a hard boot. Cannot ctrl-alt-delete out of it.  The certain situations are when there are a lot of flames near you. This can be reproduced in the POW level by setting the huts on fire with grenades. Even when you use binoculars and see the flames the game will freeze. When you are near flames there is a lot of tearing on the screen and enabling v-sync at 3dfx tools does nothing. This also happens in certain levels in Fist Alpha. I do have triple buffering disabled and textures in system memory.

I hope to have provided some useful information and I hope you can help.

------------------------------------------
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.3 GHZ
ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0
512 MB Crucial memory
Win98 SE w/W2K dual boot
Directx 9.0b
Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound card
Voodoo5 5500 PCI

Dautonico

@ aperson

I have a Voodoo V3 and i dont have this option to use only single mode chip.... What voodoo do you have?
What is your system can you help me?
BraSil...

omega_supreme

Single chip is meant for voodoo 5. The voodoo 3 does not have a second chip, so you cannot disable it ;)

aperson

It appears I was wrong, so sorry for getting your hopes up.  I plugged in my old V3 and all I got from RoN was an error message that it would be incompatible, and it wouldn't even let me run the program anyway to test for myself.  I could have sworn that I used to play RoN with my V3, but evidently not until I got my current V5.

Rolo01

I tried Sid Meiers Pirates! with the Alpha 19, it exits randomly to desktop, but when it runs, it runs great with only small graphical glitches ( watch the ships sails ).
System :
Pentium4-2800
Voodoo4-4500 PCI
WinXP SP1
Image Insert:

128.82 KB

Image Insert:

166.19 KB

Image Insert:

112.02 KB

SuperFurryFurryThing

Can you try testing these problems in DX7 Mode aswell as DX8 mode, I have noticed some similar problems to these running Need for Speed Underground under Xp in DX8 Mode but not in DX7 Mode where NFSU works.

SFFT

Rolo01

In DX7 mode the games crashes to desktop with almost every action you try. In DX8 mode you can play much longer. Graphical appearance is identical in both modes.

Dautonico

Hei hei hei... SFFt 20 is out.... is there a change log or something?????
BraSil...

agrelaphon

Just tried alpha20 for V3. Wow, nice boost for 3dmark + everything (games) is faster:D. (SFFT, how did you do that?)

Dautonico, yes, a change log would be nice![8)]

algeeba

Just tried the SFFT Alpha 20 for VSA-100 but once W2k loads the desktop I can only see the top 1/4. Everything else is black. I can't access anything except what is on the top.  I managed to drag the vietcong shortcut to the top but nothing happened when I clicked on it. Rebooted back to Win98, replaced the 3dfxvs.ddl and 3dfxvsm.sys files from SFFT Alpha 19 and W2k rebooted fine once again.

------------------------------------------
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.3 GHZ
ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0
512 MB Crucial memory
Win98 SE w/W2K dual boot
Directx 9.0b
Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound card
Voodoo5 5500 PCI

SuperFurryFurryThing

Try reducing you desktop size and see if that affects the desktop problem. I have found a problem since posting the driver.

SFFT

Dautonico

Ok... im having some problems with Duke Nukem Manhattan Project and DRIVER, but im triyng to solve then, and my NFS: porshe stoped working.. it passes the Intro Movie and hangs on the loading screen... im going to do a clean up on my system and try again...anyway thanks for the improvements
BraSil...

FBS

I have not completed testing the SFFT20. So far I am pleased with the results. Ghost Recon functions and in Flight sim my system does not crash in 2 sample AA as it did with SFFT19. The kneeboard still comes up black. I want to mention that when the kneeboard displays comes up it makes the flicker or refresh real hard. In the next day or so I will test in fast performance and single chip