Voodoo 2 with Voodoo 5?!?

Started by RCF, 21 May 2004, 04:11:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RCF

Hi 3dfx Community :)

Can I use the Voodoo 2 PCI if connect in the Voodoo 5 5500 AGP? (V5 just for 2D, of course)

Knuckles

WHY THE F*CK do you want to use a Voodoo 5 only for 2d????? the 3D is way better on as Voodoo5, this is the weirdest thing I ever heard ...

PanoramixDruida

I guess you can, but it has no sense.

RCF

QuoteOriginally posted by Knuckles

WHY THE F*CK do you want to use a Voodoo 5 only for 2d????? the 3D is way better on as Voodoo5, this is the weirdest thing I ever heard ...

[V] Please!..."V5 just for 2D" because I don't be stupid in want SLI between V2 & V5... be clear now???;)

QuoteOriginally posted by PanoramixDruida

I guess you can, but it has no sense.

It's because I don't have onboard video in my MB...so the V5 is the only way to 2D in the V2.

dborca

As a matter of fact, I'm using V5 & V2 the same way. That's because I don't have non-Voodoo cards, and I need more platforms for testing. :D There shouldn't be a real conflict, since the Glide files are different (that is, Glide3/H5 won't detect the V2 devices and Glide3/CVG won't detect Napalm devices). The only problem is with DyrektEks, but I don't use it. As far as OpenGL / Glide is concerned, I'm following my own credo (ehm... ehm... some sort of funky installation): :D
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1119
Regards,
Daniel Borca

RCF

QuoteOriginally posted by dborca

As a matter of fact, I'm using V5 & V2 the same way. That's because I don't have non-Voodoo cards, and I need more platforms for testing. :D There shouldn't be a real conflict, since the Glide files are different (that is, Glide3/H5 won't detect the V2 devices and Glide3/CVG won't detect Napalm devices). The only problem is with DyrektEks, but I don't use it. As far as OpenGL / Glide is concerned, I'm following my own credo (ehm... ehm... some sort of funky installation): :D
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1119

Yes, possible conflict is my trouble, but if you make... I can too :D

Thank's ;)

RCF

2 questions:

1- How to make choice between V2 and V5 in games? In my PC just V5 works, same games have "3D Device Setup" but don't show Voodoo2 for select.

2- Why Win98 SE crash after install FastVoodoo2 4.0GE and select Video Properties?

...any help will be appreciated.

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by RCF

2 questions:

1- How to make choice between V2 and V5 in games? In my PC just V5 works, same games have "3D Device Setup" but don't show Voodoo2 for select.
I installed the V5, but not the V2. However, I let windows make its show with V2, too, in order to map the device addresses. But I never provide the actual files for V2 installation. In english, I leave the V2 half-installed. Next, when I want to play something with V2, I copy Mesa, together with V2's Glide & fxmemmap into the game's dir. That's all. If I want to play the same game with V5, I remove V2 Glide and Mesa will use the default one (the one installed with V5 drivers).

Quote2- Why Win98 SE crash after install FastVoodoo2 4.0GE and select Video Properties?
Dunno. I never installed FastVoodoo. Everything boils down to Glide?x.dll and fxmemmap.vxd. Feel free to use the ones that come with FastVoodoo, it should work.

AFAIK, there are certain "Glide switchers" floating around the net, but I never tried any...
Regards,
Daniel Borca

RCF

Yes, in the V2 everything boils down to Glide?x.dll and fxmemmap.vxd and the "Glide switcher" is the best way, thanks for tips. ;)

I reinstalled the V2 drivers and finally work's!!! (I don't have idea what error happened before)  ...then direct3d works too, but only in games and applications (like 3DMark) than shows "select 3d device" ...others only run in V5, because is primary display of course.