Komponent's 3DFX modding projects What to do next?

Started by Komponent, 25 January 2009, 11:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

jix-reggio

Thank you Komponent for thèse awesome mods !
:)

Komponent

QuoteOriginally posted by goriath
Could be a matter of bios settings?
Could you list which motherboards have problems with the modded Voodoo5 under 2k/XP?
I have tried all I could with Epox KT333 (8k3a) and Toshiba i815 (Equium 8000s) and with a AGP V5 5500 128Mb Windows 2k/XP will not load to desktop. However, on Tyan S2466, ECS RS400-A and Biostar K8T890-A9 there were no such problems. I have modded a small number of these cards for some people and maybe they can share the results they got on different motherboards.

goriath

QuoteOriginally posted by Komponent

QuoteOriginally posted by goriath
Could be a matter of bios settings?
Could you list which motherboards have problems with the modded Voodoo5 under 2k/XP?
I have tried all I could with Epox KT333 (8k3a) and Toshiba i815 (Equium 8000s) and with a AGP V5 5500 128Mb Windows 2k/XP will not load to desktop. However, on Tyan S2466, ECS RS400-A and Biostar K8T890-A9 there were no such problems. I have modded a small number of these cards for some people and maybe they can share the results they got on different motherboards.

Thank you for this important reply.
So the modded card failed to load 2k/XP desktop with VIA KT333 and intel i815 chipsets, although we can't exclude same chipsets can work on different hardware platforms.
ATi RS480 (Radeon Xpress200) and VIA K8T890 (ECS and Biostar) aren't reliable platforms to me in order to inquire further on this behaviour, because they don't offer true AGP support but a PCIoAGP instead (PCI over AGP); this must be related to the fact that a modded V5 PCI instead works w/o issues.
The AMD-760 MPX chipset of the Tyan motherboard is a good point to start.

We need to handle with all these clues:
PCI Vs AGP
Win98 Vs 2k/xp
Drivers Vs Chipsets

Have you any idea on what could be the reason?

Komponent

Forgot to mention: with the default driver included with Win XP it does work. I remember narrowing down the quirk to the miniport part of the driver.

m14radu

@Komponent: Witch driver did you test ?
SFFT, Amigamerlin, Koolsmokey ?
Follow your dreams !

Komponent

I have tried many. Don't worry, soon you will receive your own V5 5500 AGP that I recently modded to 128Mb and you will have the chance to do more tests that I lack the free time for.

goriath

QuoteOriginally posted by Komponent

Forgot to mention: with the default driver included with Win XP it does work. I remember narrowing down the quirk to the miniport part of the driver.

Another useful clue, thanks!

I'm starting to think this have to do with SLI and the amount of memory is needed to be addressed with DirectDraw.

Normally, under W9x environment, the card use only the first VSA-100 to display desktop. I remember that with modded/new driver for windows  XP 2D VSA-100 SLI has been added at some point.

Komponent

Voodoo5 cards modded with 4ns/4.8ns fast RAM, GPU voltmod and overclocked up to 207Mhz stable.

http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372485869

Thanks M14Radu for allowing me to mod his hardware!

m14radu

Great work Komponent !
Looking forward for the next project/ challange :)
Do you have something in mind ?
Follow your dreams !

Komponent

Yes I do :D Not ready to go public and no time to finish the work yet.

Later edit:
http://abload.de/img/011020136csz4.jpg

Glide

@Komponent: a nice work again, many compliments.

Please keep us updated!

Bye bye

Komponent

Voltmod guide to Voodoo5 5500 PCI (GPU and RAM), Voodoo4 AGP (GPU) and Voodoo4 PCI (GPU and RAM)
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1380984242

Glide

OK, many thanks for the Web link.

I meant talking also here if possibile :).

Bye bye

jix-reggio

Thank you Komponent.
Very good job ... as usual !
:D