3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 General Discussions
 HSR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

perer
Average

Netherlands

243 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  21:04:51  Show Profile  Visit perer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know the Voodoo4/5 drivers have HSR ( Hidden Surface Removal).
But would it be possible to take the voodoo4/5 HSR as an example and than implement it into Voodoo1/2/3????

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2004 :  08:06:19  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perer

I know the Voodoo4/5 drivers have HSR ( Hidden Surface Removal).
But would it be possible to take the voodoo4/5 HSR as an example and than implement it into Voodoo1/2/3????

HSR is a hoax.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

vykupitel
Initiate

Czech Republic

86 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Visit vykupitel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why?I'm curious if there should be any progress with HSR or if it is only useless feature?

AthlonXP 1.86GHz@2.2GHz (barton), 1024MB PC400 RAM,MSI KT6-Delta LSR,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1 + Voodoo4 4200 AGP(Daytona) and many more...
Go to Top of Page

amp_man
Experienced

545 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  20:54:23  Show Profile  Visit amp_man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's useless. 3dfx tried to implement it in the V4/5, but they never got anywhere. It didn't really help anything, and was so buggy that it caused more damage than good. It was more of a benchmark feature than anything else...It's been removed from most driver releases, because it's more bugs than anything else, and progress would likely be pointless.
Go to Top of Page

Blazkowicz
Novice

France
28 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2004 :  12:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Blazkowicz's Homepage  Click to see Blazkowicz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it works with the quake series. you have to set r_finish 1 or gl_finish 1 or else it will go ugly and buggy
I think i had let me gain about 2 fps with FSAA 4x
anyway the feature is not that interesting, quake engines do themselves some HSR thanks to their BSP geometry
Go to Top of Page

Nightbird

1938 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2004 :  15:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Nightbird's Homepage  Send Nightbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
3dfx tried to implement it in the V4/5, but they never got anywhere. It didn't really help anything, and was so buggy that it caused more damage than good

Was a beta feature in a beta driver and since, nobody worked on it, perhaps with good reason.
I tried it in glide on a Voodoo 5 with NFS3 ou NFS4 - i dont remember exactly - but the result was ''surprizing'' in aggressive tilings.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

perer
Average

Netherlands

243 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2004 :  15:21:08  Show Profile  Visit perer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I saw a review on it.
And with QUake3 there where some big improvements!!!
Go to Top of Page

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Experienced

540 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2004 :  16:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Obi-Wan Kenobi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perer

Well I saw a review on it.
And with QUake3 there where some big improvements!!!

Okay, would you like to show me where tha was, I seem to have heard about it too, but that was a long time ago.

Would be nice to read that article again.

Update!!!

here is something about HSR in a Sharky Exteme'topic:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/forums_spotlight/9/4.shtml

and here the other:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/3dfxhsrbeta/