Best Mainboard for Voodoo5 6000 AGP?

Started by Grand Admiral Thrawn, 11 April 2003, 18:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Obi-Wan Kenobi

ASUS A7V333-R is the best KT333 board around in my point of view ;) every Voodoo AGP card runs fine in it, so a Voodoo5 6000 should do fine also. I never had lock-ups with it either, ASUS is well known because of rock stabillity and speed. for SMP machines  I recommend the ASUS A7M266-D with a nice Antec True Power 550 EPS12V PSU [:o)]
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

cosworth6k

My voodoo6k don't boot with asusa7v333 [:I]
3dfx ZoNe moderator
Powered by voodoo 6000

gdonovan

Strike that one off the list then.

omega_supreme

I still think the MSI KT3 Ultra2 is your best bet. Ultra1 needs a bios update for the XP3000, I dont know about the Ultra2 (I dont have it).

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by cosworth6k

MSI kt3 ultra 2

Best board revison to buy? I found one but need more info!

Rampage

Best revision wouldn't really mind i think. An Ultra 2 will always be a revision 2. Anyway, you'll be fine i think, no matter what :)
Porsche Owned!!!

cosworth6k

Ask to Amigamerlin for revision.

I haven't msi now
3dfx ZoNe moderator
Powered by voodoo 6000

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by Rampage

Best revision wouldn't really mind i think. An Ultra 2 will always be a revision 2. Anyway, you'll be fine i think, no matter what :)

I can't assume- If it was for a 5500 AGP they are common if one burns up, not so with V6000.

omega_supreme

You should ask either Amiga or mikepedo, if im am not mistaking they both use the MSI KT3Ultra 2. I actually think Rampage is correct. V5 6000 doesnt really care, it just needs an suited KT3 mainboard and all  the MSI will do fine    
:)

gdonovan

For what it is worth-

I picked up an Epox 8K3A+ as a spare board and it's a screamer! Currently it's running an 1800+ but I had a chance to throw a Barton 3000+ with 333 mhz bus for a few hours and it worked perfect. The only thing I had to do was set the bus speed in the bios from 133 to 166.

AGP mode is adjustable in the bios (1/2/4x) and when running in 1/2x mode the AGP is the correct 3.3 volts.

My V5-6000 ran looping Quake3 demos for hours with zero problems. 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, 8 x AA with Win98SE, last non-beta 3dfx VSA drivers and directx 9b.

Voodoo5

@gdonovan,

Great to hear you found yourself a quality motherboard for the 6000 [8D]

What were you averaging for fps with that set-up (8X AA) ?, just my opinion but you might want to try lowering your AA down to 4X and switch to 32 bit color @ 1152 X 864 or 1280 X 1024.

My favourite 2 set-ups for quake 3 arena & Team arena on my 5500 are:

1) 1024 X 768, 32bit color, 2X FSAA and game settings at highest.

2) 1152 X 864, 32 bit color, no FSAA and game settings at highest.

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by Voodoo5

@gdonovan,

Great to hear you found yourself a quality motherboard for the 6000 [8D]

What were you averaging for fps with that set-up (8X AA) ?, just my opinion but you might want to try lowering your AA down to 4X and switch to 32 bit color @ 1152 X 864 or 1280 X 1024.

This board is just a test board, I have a MSI Ultra II in route from Germany.

I'm seeing as low as 22-24 and as high as 100 fps, it's being run at 8x AA to stress the card as much as possible during demo loops.

Nightbird

QuoteI had a chance to throw a Barton 3000+ with 333 mhz bus for a few hours and it worked perfect. The only thing I had to do was set the bus speed in the bios from 133 to 166
This mobo supports the XP Thoroughbred FSB 266 and 333 but according Epox not the Barton (or officially).
Is the Barton 3000+ correctly recognized when the mobo boots and what bios is used ?
Thks

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by Nightbird
This mobo supports the XP Thoroughbred FSB 266 and 333 but according Epox not the Barton (or officially).
Is the Barton 3000+ correctly recognized when the mobo boots and what bios is used ?
Thks

When the bus speed is manually set from 133 to 166 the computer identifies the CPU as 3000+ on bootup, I can't remember if it stated Barton or not because I had to ship the CPU out (I only had it for a few hours)

I have my own Barton in route and will let you know when it comes in, it ran fine though.

Nightbird

According an Epox Tech., the 8K3A(+) would support the Barton with 15/11/02 or later BIOS using PCB revision 1.2.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community