3dmark being stupid

Started by Friday, 07 November 2003, 20:56:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Check this out!
I have v3 3k @ 190Mhz, celeron 433, 192 MB ram, win98se, dx 8.1. I've installed 3dmark 99 max (full) to do some testing. I scored 2950 3d marks with old drivers (don't know version), and then I tried with the drivers I got with v3 card (4.12.01.1213). Result changed to 3320. It's OK, I guess the drivers are better. I even got more fps in Q3Arena (timedemo). BUT!!! I downclocked my v3 to 125 Mhz, just for fun, to see the 3dmark result. IT'S A SAME! Q3Arena is much slower, fill rate droped down for almost 50%, but 3dmark score isn't changed. How is that possible???
I've just downloaded Amigamerlin 2.9. Is that a good choice?

Friday

Hello Nightbird, Glide, Amigamerlin, anyone???

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Friday

Hello Nightbird, Glide, Amigamerlin, anyone???

Chill out, lad! :D We're here!

Now, I never tested 3DMark in my whole life, but here's an idea! Perhaps the tests you chose to run make heavy use of drivers, and do not push the GPU and bandwidth to its max! The V3 3k COULD scale up to the Athlon processors. Perhaps your CPU is a little underpowered, compared to the V3 core. The easiest way to see that, is to try a good game in a given resolution. Then start increasing the resolution until you get framedrops! Then you hit the limit of the videocard.
Regards,
Daniel Borca

Friday

Sorry for being loud! [:I]
I just overclocked my cpu to 540, and now I'll see if that's correct. I believe it is, but how could I know before (?), i only have one cpu, so I asked You. Sorry again

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Friday

Sorry for being loud! [:I]
No need to excuse (please notice the smiley above)!

Ok, then! Keep us posted! ;)
Regards,
Daniel Borca