Q3D Obsidian2 SLI2 X-24 problem, W2K

Started by Avenger, 07 January 2004, 18:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

koolsmoky

OK, time for a new test release. I revised the memmap fix so more feedbacks are appreciated. As always, the glide files are bleeding-edge builds from SF. Both glide2x and glide3x will use 3dnow! or mmx instructions if your cpu supports it. Regtweaks will work and there's support for mismatched sli. Don't forget that you need to set special regtweaks for Q3D Obsidian2 boards. Also problems with WickedGL is fixed. Remember to uninstall any previous V2 driver before using this kit and read readme.txt!

If windows doesn't ask for a driver, open device manager and install the driver from there.

Those who are using win9x can use the new glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll by copying them to c:\windows\system.

If you post feedbacks, don't forget to include descriptions of your pc system, os, app version, if the app uses glide2 or glide3, etc.

Cheers,
KoolSmoky

edit: removed attachment

enthomologist

Hi, i've just downloaded this and gave it a shot. Glide 2x works with the mismatched SLI as promised, however, i expected more than 30fps in 1024x768 through watching the Donut demo - i had about 100fps in 800x600 so far, both with vsync ON and OFF and such a drop is kinda problematic to me. Glide 3x doesn't work - it just makes "zzzooooot" sound in the background and the screen turns dark. Any suggestions? Grtz, Ent.
PS. I'll try them out with "Ignore_SLI_check" also.
"The board authorized you? Hm. The board doesn't know the first thing about science. All they want is something to make them more money, a product. Don't worry...they'll get their product..." - dr Malcolm Betruger

koolsmoky

For starters, it would help to give a description of your pc system, os, app version, what V2 boards you're using, etc. ATM I'm not dealing with mixed driver sets for win2k,xp because it makes it difficult to track down a problem. Besure you've cleaned out all previous V2 files and envvars.

-KoolSmoky

enthomologist

Yes, i'm sure my system was "3dfx clean" - i removed the driver from the Device Menager and manually removed infs (because unlike other drivers, 3dfx ones usually leave behind that sort of stuff) and registry entries, too. But ney, it doesn't work properly one way or another. Sometimes demos run both in glide2x and 3x just to fall into black with another round. One question: is fxoem2x.dll no longer needed (there was no such file in the package this time)? My specs are: Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB DDR RAM, Radeon 9550 128MB card as a primary adapter, one Colormax(not sure) 12MB V2 board and one totally unknown (just a sticker with "EON Electronics" on it - a retail brand?)12MB V2 in SLI;the system is Windows XP Pro SP2 with already integrated Directx9.0c. Cats are last 4.12 official. The mainboard is an ECS K7S5A. The SLI was properly detected in Win98SE and works fine for the moment on this platform with FV4.6, but produces a hell of a mess upon exit. From another hand, i couldn't menage to get a stable set of drivers working in SLI with Win2K/XP. No mixed set has been used by me so far, just sometimes put different glide files in game folders to run some problematic titles, but no such tricks this time. Regs, Ent.
"The board authorized you? Hm. The board doesn't know the first thing about science. All they want is something to make them more money, a product. Don't worry...they'll get their product..." - dr Malcolm Betruger

koolsmoky

fxoem2x.dll isn't required if we're not using the TV out component. I removed the file from the kit so that the test environment would be simple. Just to be on the safe side search and delete all fxoem2x.dll, 3dfxspl2.dll, 3dfxspl3.dll, and ntremap.sys on your system. And be sure you install the test kit from the windows device manager.

So, what apps are you using and which V2 do you have the display connected to? Do you hear the apps running in the back when the screen is blank? Have you checked the SLI cable? Tried changing PCI slots or swapping them? Have you tried running with just single V2 installed?

Set SSTV2_SWAPBOARDS = 1 and see what happens.

-KoolSmoky

enthomologist

Thanks for reply, more to follow. Regs, Ent.

enthomologist

After messing around for a while, i found it working at last. All i had to do was to "underclock" Voodoos - i set them to 90MHz. Voila, both glides work now (good job, KoolSmoky). All that stresses me up for a moment is glide2x performance, twice as low as glide3x - i put a glide2x.dll from the package to the Redguard's directory  and ran Win98, it was horrible, yet better run it via Glidos. Cheerz, Ent.

koolsmoky

QuoteOriginally posted by enthomologist

After messing around for a while, i found it working at last. All i had to do was to "underclock" Voodoos - i set them to 90MHz. Voila, both glides work now (good job, KoolSmoky). All that stresses me up for a moment is glide2x performance, twice as low as glide3x - i put a glide2x.dll from the package to the Redguard's directory  and ran Win98, it was horrible, yet better run it via Glidos. Cheerz, Ent.
Nice to hear you got your V2 working. Strange you mention underclocking though, the V2 defaults to 90MHz. I'll check if the driver is messing with the clock. Anyway, is Redguard the only app showing low performance? Could you point me to a demo? I'd appreaciate it if you would post some numbers. Does the performance change between win98 and winxp? Also check if the performance changes when you change the refreshrate of Glide. Use SSTV2_REFRESH_640x480 = 60

-KoolSmoky

enthomologist

@KoolSmoky, about that glide performance: the newest 2x one (from your beta drivers package) shows average performance in Unreal Tournament v.436 (about 45fps), the best score belongs to FV4.6's win98 Glide (above 50fps, with desktop corruption problem of course) - all measured with vsync off, triple buffer off, glide dithering off, 1024x768@60Hz on highest settings, software sound, WinXP SP2, rest of my config above. In the Donut demo, where i can compare both Glide 2 and Glide 3 performance, there is 30fps (g2) and 60fps (g3), where FV4.0GE set shows, in this order, from ~50 to ~70fps in Win98 (1024x768@60Hz, glide environment as above). I excluded Redguard from comparison because 1 - this is a DOS game (no way to play it on XP); 2 - after toying with glide-switching it refused to launch finally for good.  Anyway, if you haven't played that glide-masterpiece back from '98 so far, i recommend you to get the demo @ http://www.uesp.net/redguard/files/redguarddemo.exe - enjoy.  Best regards, Ent.

ps47

..I have tested the new glide2x as well,it runs fine,but only when refresh is set to 60Hz.if I set it higher,the game (unreal tournament) is somewhat jerky.the FPS remain the same,but the game is simply not as fluent.original glide2x doesnt have this problem..anyway it is still way better than desktop corruption or glide2x to 3x wrapper..

(athlonxp3000,radeon9800p,voodoo2 SLI 24MB A-Trend,Winxp)

edit: tested a bit more,and I get the jerkines with the wrapper as well,once I set FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1 (this basically enables v-sync).
any chance that your glide has v-sync enabled internally (I was not able to turn it off,not even envvars in *.bat file help)
to make it short:
60Hz+FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1 ->fine
85Hz+FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1 ->jerky
85Hz+FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0 ->fine

ps47

more stuff.seems like that jerkiness happens only with unreal tournament with refresh set to 75Hz or higher.deus ex runs fine with any refresh.the latest glide2x runs fine with wickedgl (yes!),and seems to be more compatible as well (Incubation finally recognizes the voodoo2 and runs in 3dfx mode.the game was crashing to desktop with the first glide2x you released).I couldnt get soldier of fortune2 working (getting a glide error using wickedgl+glide2x),but this seems to be related to the game (mesafx has problems as well).quake3 and return to castle wolfenstein run very vell (wickedgl+glide2x).counter-strike has some weird texture flicker when choosing the team for the first time,but the game itself is ok.weir thing is,it dissapiers for the second I want to make a screenshot,and the screenshot is ok..and umm,this may be trivial,but the 3dfx splash screen works somewhat weird (appearing too shortly or not at all,and it has the old 3dfx logo for some reason)..

ps47

..reinstalled UT,and the jerkiness is 99% gone.life is weird..

ps47

..ok,to sum it up,it seems like all native glide2x applications work fine (a bit slower though).opengl glide2x apps (using wickedgl or minigl) have some minor texture flicker problems (counter strike 1.5 when selecting team after entering the game,return to castle wolfestein when changing options from the ingame menu).soldier of forune2 doesnt start (babbling something about a glide error).anyway,its great to see my voodoo2 SLI working almost perfectly again.thanks[8D]

enthomologist

@PS47: Are you using the "special" glide2x.dll from the "patch" directory for Radeon owners or stick with the regular version installed by default (2.56)?

cl1986

Are u guys serious, your using your 6 year old obsidian 2 sli2 boards or am i mis understanding u??

I am currently trying to install my Obsidian in winxp, dont think it will happen but would like to know what u guys think. Trying to use generic card with this excellerator to play bf1942.

What does this card do to the new cards like your 9600 pro???? Very curious and is it at all better????